This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

PTO jumping out of gear

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

PTO jumping out of gear

Postby kjoiner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:45 pm

Hello,

I was trying out the PTO on my Cub over the weekend - just trying to let it spin the pulley - and it does not want to stay engaged. We did a lot of successful work with the belly mower in the past but something has changed since it was painted. The belly mower is not installed at the moment. The shift lever was stiff with paint but it seems to be working OK now. I can push in the clutch, engage the PTO, but as I let out the clutch, it rattles and I can feel pressure on the shaft trying to kick it out. The lever is engaged in the slots of the bracket and the bracket is correctly located on the protrusion from the gear case but something is off. Any ideas before I pull it apart?

Thanks,

Kyle

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: PTO jumping out of gear

Postby Chris D » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Sounds typical of a worn pto coupling cluch and or shaft splines that engage into that clutch. I would pull it down and check that first before more damage is done. You may be able to shine a flashlight thru the filler hole on the tranny and make sure it looks like it's moving freely in there when the lever is moved. Also could be a bearing going bad allowing for too much end play. You could adjust the bracket to get just a bit more engagement also and see if that helps but I would check into it further. Lots of info here on the PTO in the how to forum and great pictures too showing the parts.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:48 pm

Did you by chance replace the seal at the front of the transmission or take the main shaft out of the tranny? If so, you may have reversed the seal retainer, which also holds the bearing in place and is letting the shaft slip forward. The retainer should be installed with the flat side showing and the bulge with the seal inside the transmission.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

kjoiner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby kjoiner » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:47 pm

Hello,

I removed the filler plug on the transmission this afternoon and took a look inside with a flashligh. I was able to engage the PTO and then turn the pulley by hand and see how it was behaving. In some cases the clutch collar would jump back off the shaft which mimics what I was experiencing with the tractor running. In some cases, it would stay engaged. The issue may be with the actuator shaft and pin that push the collar onto the transmission output shaft. I was running out of daylight so I'll look at it some more tomorrow. From what I could tell, the splines look like they are in good shape. I changed the gear lube while I was at it.

By the way, I went to the Steam Power and Antique engine festival in Cumming, GA today. There were several Cubs there including a demonstrator model.

Kyle

Return to “Farmall Cub”