This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil bath cup?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: oil bath cup?

Postby Former Member » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:55 pm

Put on a thin layer of Permatex RTV. lick your finger and smooth it out and wipe off the excess. Set it aside and let it dry(overnight) so it is completely dry. Then install, if you think it was needed.

Allowing it to dry will prevent the 2 parts from sticking together.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Chris D » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:00 pm

As Dale said the RTV will work wonders on it if you think it is necessary. I have used that stuff to fix many things including cracks in a lawnmower seat, used it in holes where wires pass thru metal and such. It's uses are endless if your creative! :D

Mike Mueller
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63069
Tractors Owned: "57" highcrop cub
"55" no hole
"61" cub
435 veg planter
201 corn planter
474 veg planter
447 cultivator
252 cultivator

Postby Mike Mueller » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:44 pm

Guys, If I remember right , I used an old oil filter gasket of a A farmall and stretched it around the were the gasket was, Fit like a glove,Mike

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:31 pm

While we are on the subject, I just got to the point in my refurbish to install oil in my air cleaner cup this afternoon. I oiled it up in both the inner portion as well as the outer cup. Was this correct, or should I not have added oil to the inner cup? By the way, my filter assembly had the fiber style thin gasket which has been shown in this posting.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:48 pm

I haven't looked for a gasket on my Cubs but am wondering what the purpose or need is for one in that location. It is on the "dirty air" side of the filter at that point. Air comes down the center of the filter does a sharp 180 back up through the mesh and then is drawn off and back down the outside pipe to the carb, right? What little dirt that could enter around the cup would be heading "south" at that point so it would have to do a 180 as well before joining the airflow.

Thiggy; fill it to the line embossed in the outside cup. That will be above the holes in the inner cup so both should/will be filled.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Scrivet wrote:I am wondering what the purpose or need is for one in that location. It is on the "dirty air" side of the filter at that point.

One could only believe the engineers determined the air quality directly in the air flow path created by the cooling fan was poor, so air with less particulate matter is drawn from above the hood.

The air cleaner gasket surface forms a better seal than metal to metal contact could achieve preventing fan driven dirt from entering the system, which would require a higher maintenance frequency of the oil cup, which is only 10 hours or less as it is.

If a "loose" gasket was used, you can rest assured it would eventually drop out and possibly never replaced.

If the gasket surface was permanently applied at Donaldson, technically no gasket exists except on the manufacturing blueprints, leading to a debate as to why no gasket illustration or mention exists in the IHC service or parts manuals.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

pm_wells
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 28635

Postby pm_wells » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:13 pm

As I understand it changes and improvements were implemented by I H engineers at certain serial numbers during the cub production run, and new parts would be listed in I H parts books. This could be a vendor ( Donaldson ) R&D improvement that went on for some time.

Return to “Farmall Cub”