This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Got it done! More fun today.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Got it done! More fun today.

Postby danovercash » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 pm

The second time was the charm. Had to put more ballast in the back of the pickup, but now the tire, tube and rim have been separated. I used a scissor jack under the bumper of the truck to break the bead. I had the tire off in November of '98 to put a shoe in the tire and replace the calcium with anti-freeze. I had to leave it at the tire repair facility as they ruined two tubes trying to get it right. I came back and got it later after they ordered in more tubes. Was suprised at all the rust in the rim, may have to clean and repaint. Sorry, no pix, camera died, will be getting hand me down I-phone soon I can use for camera.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Got it done! More fun today.

Postby danovercash » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:23 pm

After giving the tire and tube a good bath and taking the rim to the sandblaster, I took the tire and tube to be patched. Only cost $20.00 for two patches, one on tube, one on tire.
The Honda dealer charges my son $30.00 just to plug one hole, he's had 4. Wish the one on the tire had been larger (all he had). When I went back to check on the rim, we found a pin hole just below the stem hole. He will weld that for me. As soon as it's dry enough to paint, the rim gets new working clothes. The 50 year old tire will roll again, how long, who knows? Pix to follow when I get my hand me down I-phone.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby danovercash » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:07 am

Put final coat of silver on rim yesterday, a few days to dry and time to reassemble. Rustoelum primer and silver on inside. Centari Ford Argent silver on outside. Centari works nice, but at $100 a qt. (red), not going to happen. Nason is about $70 a qt. The Iron guard I had here turned into molasses and can't be used. Almost a full gallon. Won't even brush. Need to find a good red rattle can to paint wheel disc and weights. Ideas anyone?

mrdibs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19520
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
2007 Cub Cadet

Postby mrdibs » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:04 am

danovercash wrote:Put final coat of silver on rim yesterday, a few days to dry and time to reassemble. Rustoelum primer and silver on inside. Centari Ford Argent silver on outside. Centari works nice, but at $100 a qt. (red), not going to happen. Nason is about $70 a qt. The Iron guard I had here turned into molasses and can't be used. Almost a full gallon. Won't even brush. Need to find a good red rattle can to paint wheel disc and weights. Ideas anyone?

Shopline is less expensive and covers nice. Paint shop will put it in rattle cans for you. Or you can go to Tractor Supply and get the cheap stuff in cans and correct color. It's crap, but it's red.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 am

Ace hardware IH red paint is better stuff, and comes in bigger rattle cans.

Return to “Farmall Cub”