This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

gas caps

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:49 pm

The fact that dealers have 'em means nothing.

Navistar and CaseIH/CaseNH are two completely separate and different entities. Navistar, formerly the truck branch of IH, is the one that got stuck with the gas cap thing. They're working from two completely separate stockpiles of gas caps, and Navistar is giving them away, so they go through scads more caps than CaseIH.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Postby Tom Evans » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:41 pm

I ordered mine in January and received it 7 days later. I got lucky I guess.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:41 am

Guys:

This is from the horse's mouth (Navistar), I had a bunch of questions that I asked Mike Smith at Navistar during our 2 or 3 converstions. I do know that I posted this response a couple times over the past couple of years, so a search might help if one was REALLY interested.

Anyways, I am going to answer as many as possible:

Bill Poor wrote:

I don't buy the theory they wait for orders. You can buy one at the dealer any day of the week. I bought one a couple of years ago because the dealer told me the program was over. They had it in stock. I know better now. If I remember right is wasn't all the expensive, about $15.00.

Well, that is exactly what they do. They wait till they get a minimum of orders. I cannot remember what that minimum is, but it is a shift's worth. The shipping department will put together and ship as many caps/orders as they can in one day. Then they will wait for the next minimum to be reached.

That is one of the reasons I had to wait well over 6 months to get my gas caps. Couple other factors, but will get to that in a minute.

Also, you can buy them on eBay, at the dealer, at flea markets - just about anyplace where you MIGHT find a Farmall or IH tractor. What I cannot understand is why anyone would want to pay $30.00US or more for a cap that is FREE :!: :?:

I know that people expect things to come in a somewhat reasonable time frame, but I guess maybe I view it differently. I am used to waiting on Canada Post - so you get to learn patience.

artc wrote:

well, i was real interested this time cause i sent in for caps for TD series crawlers. hey they start on gas, and have a 1 gallon gas tank with hte proper cap, so why not?

Art, if it starts or runs on gasoline - it is covered. Any IH Farmall product that has a gas component to it's powerplant is covered. That is how it was explained to me by Mike Smith over at Navistar a couple years ago.

farmallcub49 wrote:

I filled mine out almost two years ago and never received anything. Do they throw away the requests that ask for more than three caps??

Andy, sometimes orders do get lost in the shuffle. One of the components to my lengthy wait was that they could not find my order after I first queried them about where the caps I ordered were. I got lucky, as I was talking to Navistar a fair amount at the time, so they shipped them out for me. Unfortunately they shipped them UPS and not USPS - and the rocket scientist in shipping failed to include on the declaration that there was not cost - the scientist assumed value equaled the cost of shipping so that was what he included in the price -- add the border fees and all of a sudden those caps cost me a bundle.. :roll: :roll: :( - oh well :roll:

You might want to re-submit and take a couple of photo-copies. Then if you don't have them shortly, re-submit again. Downside is that it is a PITA, upside is, you might end up with 6 instead of 3 :idea: :oops: :!: :lol: :lol:

Brent wrote:

Binder books was at the tractor show in Tulare Ca. a couple of weeks ago. She had a supply of caps there so all I had to do was fill out the form and she handed me two. Just lucky I guess!

Brent, Binder has always offered gas caps at shows and stuff simply by just asking for them. I am not sure why, but they do. In fact when I ordered my manuals, I was talking to them on the phone and the topic of the gas caps came up which is where I first got the idea to order them. She had mentioned the caps to me, and I said I would love to have one. She said, come to a show and I can have a couple. Unfortunately... they are a REAL LONG WAS AWAY from my home, so not a chance.

If anyone needs a cap and there is a show that may include Binder Books as a participant -- BRING your serial numbers with you :!: :idea: :D

I hope this has been of some help....
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:06 pm

hey, Rudi, good to see your about again. heard you had another visit to the body shop for repairs. :) :)

thinking of you, get well
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:29 pm

art:

thanks. yup in the barn again. only for 2 days though. haven't figured out what was needed to cure the problem as they haven't figured out what the problem is yet......
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”