Switch to full style
Farmall Cub Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.

Forum rules

Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Post a reply

REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 pm

My Tie rods are shot. New ones are $65 a piece, so heres what I did.... This is a picture of the rod ball end. It was welded up at some point previous, but never filed back to the right size.
tierod1.JPG
So using a reciprocating saw and metal blade, I sawed the ends off.
tierod2.JPG
tierod3.JPG
Then I purchased a bag of 3/4 plain steel balls from Mcmaster Carr for about $10 dollars (they must be plain steel, not chrome hardened so they cxan be welded)
tierod4.JPG
and ground a flat spot on the ball with the bench grinder. I then tacked the ball in place, and took the ball to a welding shop to have it welded up. The welder is charging $20. So for about $31 and a little bit of my time, I will have new tie rods... :{_}:
tierod5.JPG


The leftovers are great slingshot ammo!!
Last edited by clodhopper on Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Nice. Nice savings too.

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:35 pm

Also, I cut a .033 shim out of 24 gauge sheet metal, as all I have is a .060 shim. The shims are $6. Mine was basically free (scrap)

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Very good. I copied this into the How To forum also and locked it there. If you need to edit it in the How To forum at anytime, let me know

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi Clodhopper,
Great post and great innovation. They say necessity is the the mother of invention, I believe poverty is the father.!!!
Good work,
Donegal Cub.

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Barnyard wrote:Very good. I copied this into the How To forum also and locked it there. If you need to edit it in the How To forum at anytime, let me know

Thank you sir!

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 pm

Donegal Cub wrote:Hi Clodhopper,
Great post and great innovation. They say necessity is the the mother of invention, I believe poverty is the father.!!!
Good work,
Donegal Cub.

They say I got my "thriftyness" from my grandpa. He was a well known tightwad! :D

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:10 pm

clodhopper wrote: Then I purchased a bag of 3/4 plain steel balls



Why is it I keep thinking about Jerry Clower?

That is a great fix. Does McMaster Carr carry them in 1" size? That would be a good fix for Super A tie rods too!


Al

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:27 pm

Can you give us McMaster-Carr's part number for the balls? That would be a big help for anybody ordering these.

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I love it when I see members here identify a problem, come up with a solution and execute it while documenting the process. It's a big help for all of us.

Very well done Clodhopper!!! :applause: :applause:

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Barnyard wrote:Can you give us McMaster-Carr's part number for the balls? That would be a big help for anybody ordering these.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-steel-balls/=kc68ah

Here is the link to the page that has all the sizes and numbers

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:38 pm

Super A wrote:
clodhopper wrote: Then I purchased a bag of 3/4 plain steel balls



Why is it I keep thinking about Jerry Clower?

That is a great fix. Does McMaster Carr carry them in 1" size? That would be a good fix for Super A tie rods too!


Al

Yes they do have 1inch

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:54 pm

My guess is these are the ones you used:
Size 3/4"
25 to a pack
Part # 96455K59
Price per pack $14.86

I couldn't find a pack of them for around $10.00

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Barnyard wrote:My guess is these are the ones you used:
Size 3/4"
25 to a pack
Part # 96455K59
Price per pack $14.86

I couldn't find a pack of them for around $10.00



Mine were only 7.67. Must have been on sale.

Re: REPAIRING TIE RODS ON A BUDGET

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 pm

I don't know if what I found on that page are the rtight ones. I just thought it would be good to share the number with others who may want to do this in the future.
Post a reply