Re: Cub key

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:12 pm

CapeCodCubs wrote:Well at least you didn't lock yourself out of the tractor...nothing worse than staring in at the key in the ignition and having no way to get inside. :lol: :lol:

Chris did your broken arm spread to your head? :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Seems that the manufacturers of tractors make an assumption that people who own them are honest people.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:56 pm

If you can't find one that fits, I have a key switch I will be glad to send you for the cost of postage. It was on my '59 when I got it. Then I found a push-pull switch in the bottom of the tool box. Since the key switcy was not correct for that year, I swapped the key for the push-pull switch. Saved the key switch for Justin Case, but if you need it you may have it.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:58 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IH-Farmall-Igni ... 3a6b33c086

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:14 pm

I think I may just go with a push/pull rather than the key. Keys are a pain anyway.
Im not a member of the correct police and as discussed the key is no security feature any way.
Thanks for all the input. It made for a interesting thread.
Thackery

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I actually put a Ford ignition key-switch in my 504 last weekend as one of my young cousins figured out the cub key fit a tractor that is still too big for him. Felt bad but more important to preserve the 504 than keep the switch original....

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:54 pm

I sort of figured that the keys were the same based on my Cat key, my JD key and a couple of others I have hanging around. If you want security, then buy a keyed ignition that will fit the dash that has different tumbler combination from most tractor keys that are keyed alike/similar. That is another reason I went back to the kill switches on my '47 and '48. Not correct but mostly cause I hated running for the darned key. With my Cubs under lock and key, thievery is not a worry.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:43 pm

This is why God invented screwdrivers, to use as a master key for cubs.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:49 pm

Dale Shaw wrote:This is why God invented screwdrivers, to use as a master key for cubs.

I had something that was screwdriver start back in high school. I was thinking for security reasons I should have changed it to Phillips...

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 pm

More than once I have had the satisfaction of finding that key after 4 acres of mowing. :{_}: It is a little easier to pull it out and stick it in my pocket after starting it. :roll:

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 pm

I wanted a spare key for my 1955 Cub Loboy, so I went to both Ace and Lowes, and neither could match the blank. Upon inspecting my key, I found it was a Briggs & Stratton C384. I did some research and learned that B&S made the ignition switches and keys for many early vehicles including cars, trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment. I believe my key and switch are original to my tractor, but they don't match the TM and ebay keys mentioned in posts above. I contacted mysecuritypro.com and they told me that this key blank http://mysecuritypro.com/BriggsandStrattonB5KeyBlanks.aspx is the correct one for my tractor. Based on the pictures, it looks identical to the key I have. I have two blanks on order and will soon find out if they work.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:18 pm

For those of you interested in Briggs and Strattons' contribution to the ignition switch, lock, and key industry, their history is told by their successor, Strattec.

http://www.strattec.com/corp_history.html#

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:08 am

My '63 has a B&S switch, key # C268. May have been dealer installed. While in the military I picked up a key that fit tugs and apu's. Kept it for a rememberance. Found that it fit the bus I drove for 20+ years and also lots of Trailways Silver Eagles.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:02 am

Ok...further showing my ignorance and sadly taking the thread a little off topic. With a push-button ignition, there is sort of and e-stop feature. Is there any such thing on a key ignition cub?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 am

A key is the perfect place to keep Miss Janet's awesome key fob :D It's a little dirtier now, because it gets a workout on the Lo Boy.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:12 am

summerfi wrote:I wanted a spare key for my 1955 Cub Loboy, so I went to both Ace and Lowes, and neither could match the blank. Upon inspecting my key, I found it was a Briggs & Stratton C384. I did some research and learned that B&S made the ignition switches and keys for many early vehicles including cars, trucks, tractors, and heavy equipment. I believe my key and switch are original to my tractor, but they don't match the TM and ebay keys mentioned in posts above. I contacted mysecuritypro.com and they told me that this key blank http://mysecuritypro.com/BriggsandStrattonB5KeyBlanks.aspx is the correct one for my tractor. Based on the pictures, it looks identical to the key I have. I have two blanks on order and will soon find out if they work.

Your key and switch is a replacement. The original in 1955 would have been a push/pull switch. Perhaps a previous owner wanted a little more security.