This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Whine in transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Whine in transmission

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Hi folks.

One of the things I didn't do when I was doing a restoration on my Farmall Cub (1950) was to tear into the transmission. Main reason: money, and it did work. It just whined. Mostly in first gear. Second and third seem to be relatively quiet.

With that in mind, what do you think I would need to do to quieten down my transmission? 1st & 3rd slider gear? Or what?

What are my options? TMTractor used to sell the individual gears, but I think that has gone by the wayside now.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers!
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Re: Whine in transmission

Postby bob in CT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Find a Cub Cadet gearbox in good condition and swap the gear set into your transmission case (if you want to keep the original casting number). CCs were used for mowing an hour a week and most had shelter in a suburban garage. Contrast that to a Cub being hammered 10-12 hours a day cultivating. Best thing i ever did to my gearboxes.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:48 pm

It is funny how the grinds/whines are different in different transmissions. On Lewis, his tranny needs to be completely torn down and reworked...it is awful, but strangely enough 2nd gear is relatively quiet...not perfectly quiet, but relatively. 1st, reverse and third are just awful. It will be interesting to find out why 2nd is so quiet compared with its brothers and sisters...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm

I like to look at these folks as they make some cool parts. Many of them are not helpful but the front pinion holder looks good to me. The original is a little cheesy. Like those forks, too. . Looks like it is easy to sink a lot of cash into a CC pulling tractor :!: :shock:
http://www.mcssl.com/store/midwestsupercub/transmssion-parts
Last edited by bob in CT on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:15 pm

You learn something new every day...amazing that there is that much market out there for tranny parts.
Since the driven speed gears are 2-3X the drive speed gears, you're probably best to put new sliders in. Some put both in new, but on the cheap, a pair of sliders are less than $100 and you can get new....

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:23 pm

When I take the Wine out of the tranny, I like to put hytran back in.

The Wine tastes better before you put it in your tranny by the way. :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :bellylaugh: :headbang :headbang

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Har har, har deee har harr, Dale!
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:13 am

Thanks folks for the replies.

I managed to snag what appears to be a decent set of Cub Cadet 122 gears, and I also found the 2nd-3rd slider and the first and reverse slider gears BRAND NEW. All of them came from that place none of us like, but need to use from time to time. :evil:

I know I spent more than I anticipated, but I want my transmission to be nice and quiet again. This should just about do the trick. I have my splitting stands and I know how to split the tractor and get it back together, so I'm putting this chore on my next year's schedule in the fall.

Hot diggity dog (a Big Dog too). :{_}: :-:-):
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 pm

I'm surprised that nobody has really invoked the "standard answer" for the whine in a Cub transmission...

I.E., a Cub transmission is gonna whine to some degree no matter what. Straight-cut gears being what they are. You may go through all that rigamarole of changing out gears only to find out that it whines just as much, if not more, with all new parts.

Between me and Dad we've got experience with four Cubs, a '52, a '53, a '66 Loboy and a '67. They all whine to about the same degree in 1st, are pretty quiet in 2nd, and whine in 3rd.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Matt,

I was aware of the square cut gears - especially since the Cub's transmission isn't a synchronized transmission.

Back in 2010, I restored a 1200 model Cub Cadet. It had a straight drive transmission just like my Farmall Cub. Once I took it out for a drive several times, that's when I noticed my Farmall Cub's transmission had a very loud whine in first gear. That 1200 Cub Cadet had one of the quietest transmissions I'd ever heard. I almost wanted to use it back then in my Cub and vice versa.

I do know my Farmall Cub lead a hard life. That's probably why it sounds like it does. The prior owners didn't think much of taking care of this tractor. After all, it is a tractor isn't it?

Anyway, thanks for chiming in. I may have missed something if I hadn't asked.

Cheers folks.

Return to “Farmall Cub”