This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12 volt coil on a 6Volt magneto system?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: 12 volt coil on a 6Volt magneto system?

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:44 pm

countryguy wrote:It is a Delco Remy 1101355 generator. From a post I read I believe it to be a 6 volt generator, correct???
Correct, shows up as a 6 volt generator.

OK. Now what? There probably was a 12 volt battery installed for some reason. Just thinking. Weak starter. Generator/regulator not working. Guessing, you need to determine what have, condition, and what you want the tractor for; working tractor or restore to original condition.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:54 pm

countryguy wrote:It looks like a generator but I do not know whether it is 6 or 12 volts. Most likely it is still 6 volts. Is it easy to identify if it has been changed over to 12 volts?

As a couple of the guys have said that would be the configuration for turning a 6v into a 12v real quick. The easy part is to simple remove the resistor and change the battery to a 6 volt battery and you should be back to the original configuration. I currently have a 56 that has a 12 volt battery on a 6 volt battery ignition setup in the barn. If I get it for myself, it is going back to 6 volt. This one will eventually go back to a mag as well as I prefer mags to distributors.

Usually the resistor looks something like this:

Used to find them on the older Chrysler cars, my 63 Imperial had that setup and that is the part I ordered when I put the resistor on the 56 for my neighbour.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

countryguy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29620
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub

Postby countryguy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Thanks for the information!

Return to “Farmall Cub”