This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hydraulics modification

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hydraulics modification

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:54 am

Bob Perry wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:Bod a double sheve crankshaft pulley would be a great drive point. (found on some combine power units). Ed

You have one for me?
No. Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 am

Matt Kirsch wrote:Have you considered mounting it to the front bolster and driving it through the crank hole, directly off the crankshaft?

This is how many loader hydraulic pumps are hooked up. Old ford and Fergusons with aftermarket loaders, were done this way. My IH 444 has a front pump. Ed
Circle of Safety

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:14 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
Matt Kirsch wrote:Have you considered mounting it to the front bolster and driving it through the crank hole, directly off the crankshaft?

This is how many loader hydraulic pumps are hooked up. Old ford and Fergusons with aftermarket loaders, were done this way. My IH 444 has a front pump. Ed

We owned a TO35 with a Lord loader on it. It had the shaft that went through to the front pulley to drive the hyd pump however the end of the shaft "keyed" to fit in the end of the crank pulley tightly and centered. I don't know what is available to be able to do that with a cub. I'd be a bit concerned with a shaft that could be a bit off center or loose whipping around. I'm also concerned as to what's out there to support the pump on.

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:23 pm

tractordad wrote:
ScottyD'sdad wrote:

We owned a TO35 with a Lord loader on it. It had the shaft that went through to the front pulley to drive the hyd pump however the end of the shaft "keyed" to fit in the end of the crank pulley tightly and centered. I don't know what is available to be able to do that with a cub. I'd be a bit concerned with a shaft that could be a bit off center or loose whipping around. I'm also concerned as to what's out there to support the pump on.

I think a shaft, long enough to reach the center hole on the crankshaft would center well enough. A cross pin would drive it, from the crank pin catch points. A bracket could be fabricated to attach to radiator mount bolts on top and the axle pivot bolt on the bottom. Bob is quite a crafty varmint, although I wouldn't admit to saying that! Ed
Circle of Safety

tractordad
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01516
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub w/ IH C2 mower
50 High wide "demo" cub with dual fertilizer hoppers
51 high wide cub w/474 planter
62 High wide cub w/ fast hitch
72 High wide w/cultivators
75 Red Long stripe w/fast hitch & C2 mower
76 Red long stripe w/IH 1000 loader & duals
77 long stripe with IH C2 belly mower
55 Super AV w/cultivators
56 Super AV
57 130 High crop w/cultivators
1 IH 574 w IH 2250
quick hitch loader

Postby tractordad » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:37 pm

Bob,

Another few options. First would be to move your voltage regulator and coil and mount a small pump under the generator. I think the coil needs to move to get the lines though. This is assuming you just need a small pump and can use a bypass block with the existing hydraulic system. My second thought would be to remove the entire air filter assembly. You would need to put a small clamp style air filter directly on your carb. You'll then have a vast amount of room under the hood, plenty of mounting points, and may be able to use the existing hole in the hood for a fill point on a pump with a tank.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:53 pm

I suppose you could find one of the old generators with a power steering pump attached to the back end.

If you have done a 12-volt conversion and used an alternator with fairly high output, the electric pump is probably the simplest way, may be as cost effective as anything too.

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:10 pm

Thanks for all the stimulating conversation !

I have a 12 v hydraulic pump/reservoir/remote switch etc. which came with my dump-trailer. I once separated it from the trailer and made a portable "power-pack" with quick-connects which can be very useful. (Actually at some point I put it back on the trailer, in the box where the manufacturer had it originally.) But very soon, it's coming off again, and the new "power-pack" Version 2.0 will be a bit more attractive, and the battery will be separate from it. (Version 1.0 included the battery, and that made it kind of heavy). One day you can dump the trailer, another day you operate a hoist on your truck, etc. And it can share the winch's battery.

I have a couple other hyd. pumps whose days of sitting on a shelf are nearly over ... and I believe one's going on a Cub...
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Return to “Farmall Cub”