This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Fast hitch in a pile

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DarinO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Fast hitch in a pile

Postby DarinO » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:33 am

I'm going today to look at a cub with a fast hitch & implements in a pile. The current owner has been very clear that he has never had this on this tractor since he has owned it. He is also not sure if it is all there. The problem is that I'm not sure that I will either. I know that some parts are hard to come by individually. If I take some printed pictures from here and tm with me will that be good enough? Are there still other things that I might miss? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"that'll take the mule out of the melon patch!" Bub Baker

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Yogie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 25271
eBay ID: yogiefisher
Tractors Owned: 37 John Deere A
63 Farmall Cub
53 Farmall Cub
56 Farmall Cub
IH 140
Massey 165 & 250
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Fast hitch in a pile

Postby Yogie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:39 am

Sounds like the best that you can do rigt now. Since he understands that it might not be complete you could take several pictures for forum members to look over, they'll know if it's complete. He should hold it for you that long I'd think...
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:09 am

sometimes the helper spring assemblies are left on the tractor and do not get removed with the rest of the FH.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:33 am

Print off the diagram from the parts manaul. both of them the early and late type, take them with you some parts are hard to find and pricey
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:40 am

DarinO wrote:If I take some printed pictures from here and tm with me will that be good enough?

Darin, that should do you in identifying the parts. Good luck with it.

By the way, are you coming to Silvey's next Saturday?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:44 am

There are a LOT of parts for a fast hitch and as was said, pricey and tough to find if missing. Take a look at the pages after this one (the easiest parts to go missing, especially the helper spring)
http://www.farmallcub.info/tc37f_db/tc3 ... 009-04.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:02 am

That said, if enough of it is missing that it's going to cost too much to complete, you could always sell the individual parts and recoup some of the price of your new tractor!

My fast hitch was missing some parts when I bought it. I fabricated a crank-style depth control to make the hitch functional, and kept one eye open for deals on the other missing parts. Eventually I found good deals on a helper spring and the adjustable diagonal link.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:35 am

Image to what Boss said.

Boss Hog wrote:Print off the diagram from the parts manaul. both of them the early and late type, take them with you some parts are hard to find and pricey

That way you will be sure that the parts are all there.

Print pics as well .. they will be visually easier to identify.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Peter Person
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06076

Postby Peter Person » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm

Darin,
Is the Cub that you will be looking at set up to receive the Fast Hitch? Even if all the parts for the fast hitch are in the pile, the tractor needs the following;
Front rockshaft is larger diameter and has the extra tab to hook the helper spring to it.
Left fender has the Fast Hitch Helper Spring Rod Guide and triangular shape reinforcing plate.

I've got a couple of pictures from a few years ago that Ralph had posted on his website that show a complete fast hitch neatly laid out on the ground on my other computer. I'll dig them up and post them.

Peter
1957 Farmall Cub "Emory", Fast-Hitch, L-F194 Plow & Colter, L-38 Disc Harrow, Cub-54A Blade, Cub-22 Sickle Bar Mower, IH 100 Blade

Circle of Safety

DarinO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DarinO » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:58 pm

Well, I arrived with print outs in hand, along with my camera, so I thought I was prepared. I wasn't prepared for the disappointing pile that I found! Instead of a fast hitch, it was the majority of a Cub 54a blade frame(minus the blade and some other typically missing components). Instead of a fast hitch plow, it was a complete cub moldboard plow. Instead of a fast hitch disk, it was the coulter from the plow. Needless to say, I don't have to make a return trip to pick up a new cub and implements. Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll save them all for my next wild goose chase!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Oh well.... Fast Hitch is readily available (with some travel) but the implements are getting harder to find.

Never tried to run one without the helper spring, but for 'light' tasks like mowing I think you can get away without it. I can see where things with more 'shock' could cause problems with the TC rockshaft, the helper spring helps absorb those shocks and you need what Peter mentions. Rock shaft and bearings are also larger on the later TC unit, along with the the extra tab for the helper spring.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:21 pm

You just kissed a frog and it turned out to be a frog. There are a lot of them out there.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:05 pm

And that is what makes the search so interesting.... :roll: one never knows if the PO actually has described it accurately or not :big give up: Sure makes finding the good stuff all the more enjoyable :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

DarinO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DarinO » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 pm

So true!

Bill, it turns out that I won't be able to make it to silvey's. My wife will be out of town tending to a recovering mother, so I'm in charge of shuttling the kids around this weekend. I has hoped to observe some shop projects & check out the choremaster collection, while there, but it looks like not this year. Have a good time!

CubitisNH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby CubitisNH » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm

Oh well--think of the money you saved by not buying all that stuff!
Mike
How can you have too many Cubs????

Return to “Farmall Cub”