This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Woods 42 and Snow Blade at Same Time?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
kirkcudbright
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63118

Woods 42 and Snow Blade at Same Time?

Postby kirkcudbright » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:32 pm

I have a Woods 42 mower mounted right now. I would like to get the blade on for snow this winter (the grader blade with the spring on top). I would like to keep the mower on for two reasons (laziness and extra weight). Somebody told me I could have both at once. But, I don't see how that is possible because the hydraulics will lower both together (unless I feel like mowing the driveway as I plow it).

Somebody recently told me that is why everybody ends up with more than one Cub.

Does anybody have both the mower and the grader blade attached at once? How do I do it?

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Woods 42 and Snow Blade at Same Time?

Postby gitractorman » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:46 pm

You could easily chain the mower up to the torque tube, at the implement mounting pads, then unhook it from the touch control rockshaft. This would lock the mower deck in the up position, and still let you use the snow blade. I really don't think you would hurt a thing by doing this, and you're right, it would save a ton of time and give you some good weight for traction. The only down side might be if you get into heavy snow, the mower deck could hang you up. Try it and send us some photos!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:49 pm

I would assume you could leave the mower on (really not sure why as the weight is in the wrong place I think) but you would have to chain it up/make support brackets to hold it up and disconnect it from the Touch Control. That way you can use the front blade with the TC. I don't have one, but just thinking about my C-2 I think it could be done. I just don't see the reason for it. Much better to add rear wheel weights to the Cub.

The best option would be to get a 2nd Cub -- remember the rule - ! implement = 1 Cub :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:16 pm

As has been suggested, you can make it work. However, it will come back to bite you:
- weight is to far forward to be beneficial for traction at the rear wheels
- increases the probability of getting hung up
- not a problem to take the 42 off; two pins, two bolts, and the belt -- you're off (much easier than a 59)
- I just took mine off and it is simple and easy (I'm 70 with two titanium pins and eight screws in my back)
- add rear wheel weights that put the weight where you need it

Take the 42 off now, it will be no fun doing it in bitter cold, after you get hung up a couple of times due to the mower high-centering in the snow.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:41 am

In addition to what has been posted, the brace that goes from the blade mount to the torque tube will seriously limit how high you can raise the mower to store it. Which will make your chances of getting stuck much higher.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:07 am

You only have to pull the mower off once in the fall and put it back on in the spring. Half the mower, the mule drive, can stay on. It isn't that big a deal to just do it. If you were trying to mow and cultivate with the same tractor, you would have to swap almost weekly. That would get old fast.

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:54 pm

Here's how I did it. However, everything gray is homemade. Dale
Attachments
PICT0301.JPG
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:19 am

Just for reference is the link to an ad below. Both implements appear to be hooked up correctly, but as mentioned in previous posts, they will also raise and lower at the same time utilizing this method:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3464987184.html

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:58 am

cubguy47 wrote:Just for reference is the link to an ad below. Both implements appear to be hooked up correctly, but as mentioned in previous posts, they will also raise and lower at the same time utilizing this method:

That is a Lo-Boy snow plow, and it rides higher and closer to the bottom of the tractor. Leaves more room to have them both mounted and operational.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:22 am

Denny Clayton wrote:
cubguy47 wrote:Just for reference is the link to an ad below. Both implements appear to be hooked up correctly, but as mentioned in previous posts, they will also raise and lower at the same time utilizing this method:

That is a Lo-Boy snow plow, and it rides higher and closer to the bottom of the tractor. Leaves more room to have them both mounted and operational.

wow, good catch Denny, you are right, I did not even look close enough to see the lifting lever was longer and the spring assembly was a bit shorter. You need to be employed by the IH correct police, I've seen you catch things on past posts also. 8)

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:41 am

Also, note the bend in both arms going back to the Cub. Comes from the increased angle of attack and hitting a relatively immovable object(s).
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:49 am

Just a little off topic. What is a tumble bug?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:38 am

I agree it's probably better to yank the mower. Rear weights do help for snow plowing, and chains are probably the best.

My question is how to run a snow plow and fast hitch with a scraper blade. Need an easy way to hook up the snow plow when using the fast hitch. Would have come in handy for using the fast hitch for a trailer, I had to get off the Cub to hook it up :cry: . OK, that part is just lazy.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:25 pm

cubguy47 wrote:wow, good catch Denny, you are right, I did not even look close enough to see the lifting lever was longer and the spring assembly was a bit shorter. You need to be employed by the IH correct police, I've seen you catch things on past posts also. 8)

Thanks Brian. I've had at least one Lo-Boy in the stable and the same L-54 blade for the last 27 years. Didn't necessarily know a lot about what I had until this forum, it's predecessor and the ATIS forum came along. :lol: Learned a bunch in the last dozen or so years.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:18 pm

Don McCombs wrote:Just a little off topic. What is a tumble bug?
Tumble bugs I am familiar with were originally designed to pull behind horses. The were a dirt scoop, sometimes on wheels, sometimes not, that slid along and filled, and when it was time to empty them the operator raised the rear handle and the lip dig in flipping it upside down. Not a job for a person with out quite a bit of strength and stamina. The ones without wheels were frequently referred to as a slip scoop, and were similar to this, but were pull behind, not mounted.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”