This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

TC pump removal help

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: TC pump removal help

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 am

Scrivet wrote:I don't see the one you are referring to from Jdbfish who is the one with the question and problem.

The original question was "How do you remove the bottom bolt next to the block"

Obviously the tool could not be photographed on the fastener in question so it was placed on an outboard bolt head for demonstration purposes and the picture was captioned to read the tool fits in all 4 positions for simplification.

I originally grabbed both 7/16" and 1/2" flex sockets from the box not remembering offhand which size would fit, then out to the shed for the picture. The 7/16" fit and was photographed.

I don't recall the reason for switching fastener head sizes when the pump was swapped but it likely may have been for ease of access to the hard to grip bolt head.

So, do I get an A for effort in trying to help the man get his tractor fixed, (which is what I thought it was all about), or a F for changing cap screw sizes ten years ago and neglecting to remember it?

You be the judge.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:59 am

I did not mean to start an argument here, sorry! I appreciate everyone's input and value everyone's opinions. I will try some 1/4 drive sockets and/or grind down a socket to get clearance and see how it goes. I will definitely replace the problem bolt with either an allen head or a smaller hex head size when I put it back on so it will be easy to remove again if needed. I will let y'all know how it goes......

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:12 am

lazyuniondriver wrote:
Boss Hog wrote:The bolts are 5/16 with a 1/2 inch head.

No, the bolts in the illustration are 5/16" with 7/16" heads. 5/16" capscrews come with multiple sized heads.
So why post something that is not standard...and give advice [socket size] that is not applicable?
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:59 am

Winfield Dave wrote: So why post something that is not standard...and give advice [socket size] that is not applicable?

I firmly believe 99% of the population, even those with limited mechanical skills, when following step by step directions including wrench size, when determined the wrench size specified was wrong would simply reach for the proper size tool and continue with the task at hand.

The remaining 1% would instead close up shop and whine about it.

Care to elaborate on what the whining is about?
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 am

Okay fellas, arguing over the bolt head size is not going to help the man with his problem. Regardless of its size the problem still exists.

I just trudged out to the barn (that 20 degree air is cold this morning) and put a socket on the bolt in question. I used a Craftsman 1/4" drive 1/2" deep socket and had no problem.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks, Bill !! That is the correct way to help this cubber.
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

DavidG
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20132
Tractors Owned: 1972 IH Cub
1976 IH Cub
1979 IH 884

Postby DavidG » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:26 am

I skimmed over whatever controversy there is. But to get off that bolt I'm pretty sure I used a 3/8 driver with extension to loosen the bolt, and then a hex driver (or whatever it's called -- like a screwdriver but with a hex head) to unscrew it all the way, because unscrewing an already-loose bolt with a ratchet is just kind of annoying.
Vegetable farming with a Cub, http://www.secondspringcsa.com

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:44 am

Looking at Bill's photo above, I'd agree. You should be able to get a 1/2" socket (deep or using standard depth w/ a short extension) on that bolt head.

If I recall, I've used a standard 1/2" socket w/ short extension and 3/8" drive wrench before w/o issue. When you get that bolt off, let us know what you used and what it looks like (standard or otherwise).

Wish you success.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

pm_wells
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!
Zip Code: 28635

Postby pm_wells » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:13 pm

BigEasy wrote:I am brand spanking new to this forum

Respect is the name of the game. You must respect your fellow members.

I think it is a good idea for new members to introduce themselves to the other members. Give people time to get to know you a little bit.
I will just speak for myself here, I am old enough and set in my ways to the point that I don't like it when someone comes across like they know everything. Show me a little respect with the advice and I will gladly take it.
Paul

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:32 pm

wellsknob wrote:I think it is a good idea for new members to introduce themselves to the other members.

Not to stray from the subject, but I totally agree with Paul. This is not pointed at Big Easy, but to all newer members. We have an "Introduce Yourself" forum that I always think should be used more often.

Many members will take to a new member much easier if that new member tells a little about themselves first. An introduction helps break the ice. Most people wouldn't think about walking up to total strangers at a meeting or social gathering and telling them what they think without first introducing themselves. The same goes for being here. It is too easy to hide behind the anonymity of a computer. For all we know, some of the folks giving answers could be a bored 16 year old computer junky who uses Google to their advantage.

Enough on that subject though and let's get back to getting that pump off. :D
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:06 pm

Check to make sure that you're not being stymied by some hard-packed grease and dirt.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Bob, my response was not pointed at you in particular. It is more intended for everybody who comes on board. While we welcome all new members and value their input, it is always nice to know a little about them.

Welcome to the group and we all hope to here more from you.

Circle of Safety

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Jdbfish wrote:Using the pic above,, it is the bottom left bolt I can't remove. There isn't enough clearance between the bolt head and pump body to get a wrench on. I've tried open end, box end, and sockets in both six and eleven point but no luck with either.

There's your problem(that 11-point socket).... :D
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 pm

awander wrote:
Jdbfish wrote:Using the pic above,, it is the bottom left bolt I can't remove. There isn't enough clearance between the bolt head and pump body to get a wrench on. I've tried open end, box end, and sockets in both six and eleven point but no luck with either.

There's your problem(that 11-point socket).... :D

I am sure he meant 12 point :D As I said in my earlier post you may have to grind down the outside of the socket some and drive it on with a hammer, MAKE sure it is clean around the bolt, sometimes the pump casting is a bit thick and not much room for the socket.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:06 pm

Yes I meant a 12 point, an 11 point would definitely cause a problem! Lol! Going to try to get out there after dinner and get the pump off. I'm sure that witha good cleaning and possibly some tool modification if needed, it will come right off. Thanks for all the help here, I will let y'all know how it goes.....

Return to “Farmall Cub”