This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

12v regulatro on a 6v generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: 12v regulatro on a 6v generator

Postby Rudi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 pm

gus:

I am curious as to why you are doing this? Is there something wrong with your current system? A properly maintained electrical system be it 6v or 12v will work much better as designed than modifying it without first determining what the problem is. I don't much like seeing 12 v conversions on a 6v tractor. I have a 56 sitting in the barn that came equipped with a mag and was converted over to 12v. It still has the 6v genny along with a 12v regulator, 6v coil with the outboard ballast resistor and the original 6v cabling. He has a lot of problems starting it .. hmmm wonder why :?: If as is my hope this becomes my next Cub - it will be restored back to it's 6v configuration. If I want a 12v Cub I will go buy one that is properly done. Course this is JIMHO and means exactly $0.01 worth of value :roll:

Oh yeah, since it has been sitting for a number of years, the very first thing that I would do is to check each and every connection/ground etc., clean until bright metal shows, repair any worn terminals/terminal connections etc., and apply a coat of di-electric grease to each contact point. It could be as simple as that in getting you electrical woes solved. Then you won't have to play with much. If all you end up having to replace is the cut-out or regulator that is a relatively inexpensive fix. Also you may want to take the genny to a good olde tyme auto electric shop - hopefully and AC Delco authorized service centre and they can repair/rebuild your genny for very little. That was the route I took on a number of gennies and a cut-out. Generator and Cut-Out
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Farmall Cub”