This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Vintage Picture

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Vintage Picture

Postby Super A » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:48 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Super A wrote: The other is to see a B-52 fly by IN PERSON.

I saw many of these in 1971. An awesome sight at the time just watching it leave the ground, let alone wondering how it ever stayed in the air.

This gives me the chance to tell one of my all-time favorite stories. The closest I have ever come to seeing a BUFF in person was in the mid-late '80s. I live about an hour from Seymour-Johnson AFB in Goldsboro, NC, so it's not unusual to see the occasional AF jet fly over. (Since we are only 15-20 minutes from Camp Lejeune, most military AC we see are Marine Corps.) Anyway, I was in middle school, and we were out of school for a holiday. At that time, we had two old chicken houses where the machinery was stored. I was out hitching up a piece of equipment in one of them, when I heard a roar, getting louder, coming from the north. It was loud enough to get my attention, so I ran outside just in time to see about a half a dozen BIG AF planes come over the horizon, low and slow--they were so close to the ground they needed license plates! Since then, from what I could find out on the internet, the B 52's at Goldsboro left in '83, but they still have tankers. So, I think what I saw were either KC-10 or KC-135 tankers. Don't know where they were going, but they put on quite the show! Sometime after, we happened to be in Goldsboro for farm business, and stopped at Wilburs BBQ for an early supper. Got there just in time to see the tankers come in to land. Again, an impressive sight.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:18 pm

I've never flown on a Buff, but I've crawled over over them from front to back, inside and out!
As big as they are, they can sneak up on you. I was working on the top of one on a cold day with low cloud cover. We had several up and doing pattern work when one came in directly over me, low and fast. I didn't realize it was there until it was directly above and needless to say, scared the day-lights out of me! I just know it was gonna land/crash on top of me! I was off the plane in no time flat, then had to go inside and change my shorts! :D
8 TF33 engines screaming at full power 500' over your head will rattle you a bit I guarantee!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:30 pm

RaymondDurban wrote:I've never flown on a Buff, but I've crawled over over them from front to back, inside and out!
As big as they are, they can sneak up on you. I was working on the top of one on a cold day with low cloud cover. We had several up and doing pattern work when one came in directly over me, low and fast. I didn't realize it was there until it was directly above and needless to say, scared the day-lights out of me! I just know it was gonna land/crash on top of me! I was off the plane in no time flat, then had to go inside and change my shorts! :D
8 TF33 engines screaming at full power 500' over your head will rattle you a bit I guarantee!

Funny now, but I bet it wasn't at the time!!

My wife's uncle was a B-52 radar navigator. I never knew about it until his funeral, I just knew he had been in the Air Force. That has piqued my interest as well.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

Like-em-all
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30134
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
1953 Farmall Super A
1952 Ford 8N
1958 John Deere 320S
1958 John Deere 420S
2008 John Deere 3005

Postby Like-em-all » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:56 pm

Criswell wrote:Image

This was the set of cultivators that came with the '52 that I have. They were still on the pallet from the dealer unbtil about 10 years ago when the PO used them for the first time. They had come with the Cub when bought back in 1952.

Are these pictured shields blue or black? I have always thought shields were blue, and these likely are blue too. The Cub, Cub equipment colors and WWII airplane photo is a most interesting thread.

Bill
"One Cub leads to another..." -- old International Harvester proverb.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:11 pm

The shields look blue to me. I have some stashed in the shed, and they're blue as well.

Al

Return to “Farmall Cub”