#11 sloppy axle

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:02 pm

Need help with diagnosing my newly purchased # 11 Cub. Front axle sloppy just flops around. The I inch shaft and ears where the bolts
go thru are secure and tight. Any ideas

Re: #11 sloppy axle

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Worn/missing thrust washers, worn/missing bushings would be my best guess given your description. Elaborate on your description to better define your problem and we may be able to provide further help.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Larry I am confused what is it more exactly is flopping?ee Bill Hudson is confused too.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:25 pm

when driving the front axle will move forward and back. I'm afraid the steering support will break if it's driven in this condition.
the shaft that goes the steering support is tight. No slop. the two cast ears that secure the shaft are intact. I have seen those broke off
before. the front axle just flops around left to right. hope that helps.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:27 pm

Is it flopping around the center pivot? If so the hole in the axle is probably worn, or the axle pivot pin is worn. Only way to tell is to take it off and see.

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:30 pm

First that shaft is 7/8 I believe, there should be a washer in front and in the rear between the axle and the housing, the bushings in the axle may be worn too. If the axle moves front to back there may not be and washers in it. If it moves in an up and down motion the bushing are shot. most likely you have trouble with both. The bushing are EZ to put in. so are the washers.
Boss

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:34 pm

To remove the old bushing, I use a saws all to cut the bushing, It will fall out then as it should have a split in it to start with. You will mess with it for ever trying to knock them out.
Boss

Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:45 pm

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for all the advice I will check out new bushings on line. You guys, are awesome! :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:52 pm

I had a cub that was like that. (Front axle flopping around) Turned out to be the tube on the back of the axle where the pivot pin goes through was broken where it is welded to the axle tube. Just something to look at. Good luck!! ...Frank

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Cubfriend wrote:I had a cub that was like that. (Front axle flopping around) Turned out to be the tube on the back of the axle where the pivot pin goes through was broken where it is welded to the axle tube. Just something to look at. Good luck!! ...Frank

Yes, forgot that. Had my neighbor weld it on and added gussets. Worked very well.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Does this help?

Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:48 pm

I THINK YOU GUYS HAVE HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. The prev/owner bought it new. The terrain he was mowing was pretty rugged as I remember.
And after all those year mowing a "wash-board" field took it's toil on the axle tube. I will read up on a safe way to support the Cub. Then, pull the
" Pin" so, to speak! thanks again.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Block it up under the oil pan, 6X6s make for good cribbing and will not damage the oil pan. Make sure you leave room to drive the pin out the back. You can take the tires off and will not have to jack it up as high.
Boss

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:47 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bronze-Bushing- ... 2a1e5cd497

This bushing will work and is 1/3 the price of an IH one