This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH Carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH Carb

Postby Johnk454 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Landreo wrote:
tractordad wrote:
Still looking into making some of these carb plates, just need to find a good local source for steel.

I have a 1' long piece of 1/2 thick x 6" wide aluminum angle stock. I think that would work well and it would be easy to put in a vise and use. I'm just not sure how hard it would be to mill up.

Metal depot or Mcmaster-Carr, few bucks for some aluminum, literally 5 minutes with a drill and you are done.
The 1/2 inch thick aluminum will work, no need for a mill. Lap with some wet dry sandpaper on a table saw bed or on a piece of window glass until smooth.
Lay out the holes, drill, no need to tap the mounting holes, just drill and use some #10 screws to clamp the carb to the plate. Remember, you are bending pot metal not titanium. Use some washers for the #10 screws to raise the low areas to aid in bending the carb body.

Five minutes with a hand drill and done? I would like to see a video of that. I suspect you are overlooking the other areas that need to be clearanced.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:33 am

It took me a lot longer than 5 minutes and I had a drill press never mind a hand drill. Making one of these plates is not as easy as it might appear. It does take a wee bit of time and some skillsets. However it can be done by anyone with some basic tools as described in the How To.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:01 am

It is a plate with some holes, nothing else. I used aluminum left over from a bypass block, I think 3/4 inch thick. I would not go less than 1/2 inch thick but still the carb is just pot metal not titanium. Not alot of pressure needed to straighten.

I made one only since they don't wear out. Took longer to find the plate in my pile of junk than it did to make it. I said nothing about using a hand drill, I used a drill press, but you could use a hand drill if that is all you have. You can use the link in this thread for the dimensions or just use the old gasket to get the rough dimensions. Drill the holes and you are done. You can drill holes close together for the float prongs or use a file or hacksaw to square the opening. Normal aluminum plate should be flat enough but you can lap with some wet dry paper if there is any concern. Tapped holes are nice but add no functional improvement, it still works the same either way.

No milling needed, need a hacksaw to cut the metal, a way to drill some holes, marking pen, vise, that is about it!

May be going to the desert for a year of so but for now I am free every other weekend. Bring a grande hot chocolate from Starbucks and I will be happy to show folks how to make one.

Johnk454
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36303
Tractors Owned: !
'52 Cub

Postby Johnk454 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:58 am

"literally 5 minutes with a drill and you are done"

No, no milling needed - just about anything can be done with a few drill bits and files - but the part I took exception with was your statement above and I still stand by that.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:13 am

The important thing is that the pieces have been made. Some people may have quicker methods to achieving a goal than others. I don't think speed should be a factor as long as the product works and it appears that the ones John made does the job.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 pm

I think Bill makes an excellent point. As I said, anyone can make one with some basic skills, some half decent tools and time. Some will do it quicker than others, some will put more into the work than others. It all depends on what is the expected outcome. The big point here basically is respect for other folks opinions, skills and their accomplishments. I have a lot of respect for those who see something in their mind and then go out and make it. Whether it is simply an improvement on an existing design/idea or a basic rudimentary fixture, each has it's place in the order of things. I like to see folks respect that. This forum has a long history of doing exactly that.

I haven't commented on John's jig yet and I have been remiss on that.

John's fabrication job on this straightening jig is quite good and the pride he took in fabricating this jig is clearly obvious. It is a very nice take on some of the previous fixtures that we have seen over the last few years or so. This is the kind of jig that is meant to take a place of import in one's tool kit. Those who end up with one of these will probably enjoy the for years.

Much like Earl's or Rick's tools. Those of us who have them are blessed with some really great quality items.

Oh and just to clarify, if one did not have a drill press, a good hand drill could be used to make a fixture such as this, but it would be quite a lot more work and the difficulty level would be considerably higher.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

olebluegrassboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 42378
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub, 55 Farmall 100, 35 10-20 mc cormick

Postby olebluegrassboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:49 am

I've been a Tool & Die Maker for 25 years, I can tell you there are probably 10 ways to do any job. It doesn't mater what the jig looks like or how long you spent on it. The only things that mater are: Did your carb come out flat? and, Are you happy with your jig? If you answered yes to both of these, you've done a fine job! Dale.
Dale
"It's better to regret the things you've done than the things you didn't do."
Still can't help to think "Wish I hadn't of done that!"

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm

This jig does not need to be made from steel plate. A dense wood/wood product (even a piece of old laminate countertop) works fine in a pinch.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:26 am

johnk454 , great looking jig , i am glad we have such talented people here on the forum , that are willing to share that talent . coppersmythe..............................

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:34 pm

Regretfully, I'm w/you Matt!! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Return to “Farmall Cub”