After the blizzard

Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:49 pm

I got to use one of my Cubs today. We had blizzard warnings for Christmas night and we had about 8 inches of snow as a result. I got to work for several hours cleaning driveways for some shutins and my wife.

Re: After the blizzard

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Looks like fun, We just missed the snow. All I saw was a flurry or two.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:23 pm

It looks like a fellow in Michigan might have to go to Arkansas if he want to push some snow. I haven't pushed any yet this year. Great picture Garvin!

Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Hello Garvin!

Looks like your havng fun with your long stripe!

We live northwest of you in SW Missouri, and we got no snow at all! The snow went all around us! I see you live over near Corning. One of my employees likes to attend a car show there in the summer months!

KT

Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:51 am

im glad you are having fun with your tractor but i gotta laugh when you call that a blizzard. we have over a foot probably closer to a 1.5' of snow and it fell in one 8 hour shift. i went to work nothing, i came home and had to give the cub a real workout. i wanted to get the bulk of it up tomorrow im going to do the final cleanup

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:17 am

Good man to help out neighbors. Garvin, it looks cold though. We got 6 1/2 inches in Witcherville but no blizzard conditions. I bet Rector park looks beautiful with the snow cover. Great picture.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 am

We had some snow last Thursdays (1"-3"), but nothing by comparison; none out of this storm. Looks like you had quite a bit of wet snow! Glad you were on concrete. When I push my drive, the gravel wants to cling to the wet snow and by Spring I end up with a pile of gravel somewhere!! :lol:

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:44 am

Looks like we got about 10-12" overnight. Snowplows pushed up about a 2' high bank across the end of the driveway.

Until I get out there and run the snowblower, I'm stuck... Unfortunately the Cub's chains chew up the driveway even if I'm careful and don't spin the wheels.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:54 am

The National Weather Service offically called this a blizzard. It covered an areas from central AR to the northeast corner of the state. It started as freezing rain and sleet and turned into snow. Officially they said we got from 10 to 14 inches.The winds were very strong so there were lots of high drifts. This is one of the few time that we have had this much snow in our area and northwest AR around Fayetteville didn't get any snow. There are still a lot of people without power but we were lucky and ours stayed on. We may be in for more this weekend. We are just not equipped to deal with this in our area so I may get to use my Cub some more.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:18 am

ad356 wrote:im glad you are having fun with your tractor but i gotta laugh when you call that a blizzard. we have over a foot probably closer to a 1.5' of snow and it fell in one 8 hour shift. i went to work nothing, i came home and had to give the cub a real workout. i wanted to get the bulk of it up tomorrow im going to do the final cleanup

Check the definition of a blizzard. The key ones are:

1. Winds of at least 35-40 mph for 3 hours
2. Visibility of less than 1/4 mile

We had blizzard conditions yesterday with about 8" of snow. The last time we had blizzard conditions we had 14" or 15". Can't tell the difference from the size of the drifts. The wind is the largest factor.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:40 am

Denny Clayton wrote:]

Strong winds for 3 hours while snowing (low visibility) normally leave drifts. Look again. :D Vern

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:04 am

v w wrote:
Denny Clayton wrote:]

Strong winds for 3 hours while snowing (low visibility) normally leave drifts. Look again. :D Vern

Well, yeah. If it wasn't for the drifts there wouldn't be half the problems. Hey, I didn't make up the definition, I just quoted it. One of the factors is it doesn't even have to be snowing, just blowing existing snow to create the poor visibility. And obviously the drifts, right Vern? :wink: :lol:

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 am

According to NOAA's website;
"Blizzards are dangerous winter storms that are a combination of blowing snow and wind resulting in very low visibilities. While heavy snowfalls and severe cold often accompany blizzards, they are not required. Sometimes strong winds pick up snow that has already fallen, creating a ground blizzard.

Officially, the National Weather Service defines a blizzard as a storm which contains large amounts of snow OR blowing snow, with winds in excess of 35 mph and visibilities of less than 1/4 mile for an extended period of time (at least 3 hours). When these conditions are expected, the National Weather Service will issue a "Blizzard Warning". When these conditions are not expected to occur simultaneously, but one or two of these conditions are expected, a "Winter Storm Warning" or "Heavy Snow Warning" may be issued."

I have to go with Denny on this one.

Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:50 am

Got some use out of the 57-loader cub. :{_}: :{_}: Ready for the next one

Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:03 pm

Great caption under your last picture...(the part about thank a vet)....My Dad CIB PH in WW2...Myself CIB PH Vietnam....Gotta love the Infantry...Dave