This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

is this abusing the tractor?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

is this abusing the tractor?

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:55 am

is plowing in 3rd gear and really loading the engine down abusing it? we had allot of snow and 2nd gear just wouldn't produce enough momentum to easily move the 2 foot of snow we got. im not ridding or feathering the clutch anymore then what it takes to get the tractor moving. once she's loaded down i leave my foot off of the clutch until im ready to stop and make another pass. i just want to make sure im not going to hurt the tractor. it has pretty decent power but a couple of times i actually loaded it down to the point of stalling out, most of the time these tractors will push until they start to run out of power. one thing is for sure, the C60 is a little workhorse.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: is this abusing the tractor?

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:59 am

Pushing two feet of snow is a lot. You are better off using 1st gear and moving a little at a time. Continued use of third gear will likely result in a splitting session before long.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

LeeC
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22150
Tractors Owned: 2 1962 LoBoys
1 1964 LoBoy
1 1965 LoBoy
1 1966 LoBoy

Postby LeeC » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:14 am

The picture in the thread below comes to mind.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29393
Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:25 am

LeeC wrote:The picture in the thread below comes to mind.

I was in 2nd when that happened. Not sure if first would have made any difference or not, but it was sure a jolt. Thins like that are definitely more apt to happen in 3rd though.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 am

Are you comfortable with it? Is it causing you to put yourself in an unsafe situation? Loading the engine down is sort of a subjective term. If you're plowing (moldboard) or doing other tillage work, you're going to load the engine. My thought is that if you're not lugging it way, way down to the point of stalling, and/or if you can hold that rpm the whole time you are pushing snow, you're not putting yourself in an unsafe situation, and you're not slipping the clutch, so you're not hurting a thing there. From what I understand, you're actually putting less strain on driveline components in a higher gear.

I've never pushed any snow but it seems to me some speed to go ahead and get it out of the way is better than just putting along and having to make 3-4-5 trips to clear the same piece of real estate. I say if it'll carry it in third, push the throttle forward and get on with it. :)

Al

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:42 am

Put a little more angle on the blade and use 2nd gear , the more angle should roll the snow better.
You should not hurt anything in 2nd providing you dont hang anything
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:47 am

Barnyard wrote:Pushing two feet of snow is a lot. You are better off using 1st gear and moving a little at a time. Continued use of third gear will likely result in a splitting session before long.

what does using 3rd gear wear out faster? it didnt seem that the clutch was slipping and i wasnt ridding it, does this damage the clutch anyways? this was an extreme snowfall but under normal conditions i use 2nd gear. i just wondered if what i was doing could burn out the clutch

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:59 am

Only you really know what conditions you have. You must be familiar with your driveway - basically every foot of it. You have to know where the bumps are, depressions, and any loose rocks/asphalt etc., anything that could end up getting frozen to the ground. If you hit something frozen to the ground in 3rd you are going to end up in a world of hurt - be it limited to your Cub or in a worst case scenario to both the Cub and YOU!. I have well over 1,000 feet of asphalt driveway - and I have not problem plowing snow in 3rd gear, in fact it is the only way to get the snow to actually fly off the side of the angled plow and clear the bank. One proviso - the first cut is made in 1st gear with the blade straight and sometimes I work up to 3rd - using 3rd to simply clear the remains once I know there is nothing I can get hung up on.. If I were to hit a frozen obstacle in 3rd, that would be the end of the ears on Ellie :( Good judgment is the prevailing factor needed in the decision. I have plowed the same stretch before it got blacktopped, but I limited myself to 2nd. The Cub-54 does have a trip spring but don't rely on that :!: The vast majority of my snow plowing is accomplished in 1st gear. Coming to a fast and sudden unexpected stop on a Cub will give you a brand new perspective on what a 12 feels like on a pucker factor chart of 1 to 10 :shock:

Riding the clutch will eventually smoke your clutch. It will surely reduce the life of the clutch at the very least. Again it depends on your situation, what dangers/tight areas you have to work in etc..
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 pm

R$udi probably answered your question to me better than I could. I was thinking two scenarios here. One is that, yes you may put more wear on your clutch at a faster rate. The other thought I had was of John's "split" torque tube. I remember seeing that a couple years ago and was reminded of it when I saw what gear you were using. Lee was faster finding the picture than I was. :lol:
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 pm

i have lived at the house for over 3 years now and know the driveway well. its mostly dirt/loose gravel with no large stones. the heavy heavy stuff was moved in 2nd and i moved up to third when i got the really heavy stuff cleared out. i dont really have anything to get caught on and i dont use much down pressure. im going be aware of the danger, i wasnt aware there was much danger in plowing beyond common sense. i have plowed with old garden tractors and if you hit something you just stop; of course the cub is allot heavier and has a larger engine so it has more torque.

i have a 54 blade and it has the trip spring underneath the blade so its not a cob-job blade, but still im going to have to be careful. i dont want to hurt the cub or myself.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:34 pm

From your description, you have nothing to worry about. All things equal, you are not, I mean absolutely not, going to put more wear on the clutch in a higher gear than in a lower gear.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:42 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
LeeC wrote:The picture in the thread below comes to mind.

I was in 2nd when that happened. Not sure if first would have made any difference or not, but it was sure a jolt. Thins like that are definitely more apt to happen in 3rd though.

That is why I did this:

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48334
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 pm

A grader blade must be used like a grader blade if used for snow removal, slow and easy unless edge trip adaptions are made like Ricky Racer did on his.

A minor change I make to my grader blade for the winter season is to eliminate the down pressure so the blade floats like an actual snow plow. If a small obstruction is struck, it bounces over it instead of stopping the tractor.

It takes me quite a bit longer to plow in 1 and 2 but with no down pressure and at slow speeds, I have a greater chance of not breaking something.

It is cool to roll along fast enough so that the snow rolls off to the side like a commercial snow plow on a truck, but the grader blade was never meant to do that so if you do operate that way, you risk damaging your equipment.

Check all the plow fasteners after every use.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:56 pm

lazyuniondriver wrote:
Check all the plow fasteners after every use.

Great tip.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:02 pm

BTDT, broke a three point blade in half twice using speed as a substitute for traction. It's hard to push/pull snow with 1800x 16 turfs! 2110 Ford while at work years ago,btw.
Last edited by danovercash on Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”