This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub snowblower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: cub snowblower

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 pm

Pete:

Yup, similar to the one you have.

One problem and Freddy a buddy of mine up here ran into that with a 20hp Craftsman with a 48" front mounted blower. He needed either a hydro-stat or a creeper gear on a gear drive tractor. He opted for the hydro-stat. Found he had the very same problem even with weights and chains added. The hydro-stat could move slow enough but there wasn't enough oooomph to move it and blow snow at the same time. He has gone back to the drawing board. I don't understand the issue but it has him confused and a lot poorer for his fun account.

Theoretically it should work as IH has the QA 36 and QA 42 for the 108 and up that works slick as can be. My buddy Gord has one on his 108 with a creeper gear and it is just the cat's meow.

That Brinly is a pretty substantial blower and it is already set up to mount on a Cub. If it was mine, I would opt to bring it out wide enough to clear the Cub, mount it on the Cub with a separate 10hp or better B&S, Techumseh, Yammy or Honda engine on it and be done with it. The Cub's ooomph will ensure that it don't get stuck. You might have a few mods to make - mostly for the outboard engine, but that isn't difficult. Also, the mount/dismount might be easier as well. May only be 4 or 5 connection points depending on how it is bolted up. Be a lot cheaper than a used ridem.

Just a tawt :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

Rudi,
The difference is twofold. The weight of a 20-hp Craftsman tractor is about 500 pounds -vs- about 800 pounds for a Cub Cadet 108 (or any similar sized Cub Cadet tractor). That makes for a whole lot more traction and pushing power (along with stiffer frame, more substantial axles, stronger wheels, stronger lifting mechanism .........)

Secondly, you have the new issue with the ratings of engines. That 20-hp Craftsman has a "20-hp" engine on it. This was the issue with the recent class action lawsuit that everyone was getting $75 check from. The way that new engines are rated is based on a bare engine, nothing on the crankshaft, no intake, and no muffler, running on a Dyno, to determine the running horsepower of the bare engine. Add on an intake, and muffler, drop about 5-hp. So now you've got a 15-hp, V engine which has a lot less torque than a single cylinder engine, and the 10-hp Kohler was probably under rated on the HP side because it was actually tested with an intake and muffler installed. Now things start coming together on why a new Craftsman won't work like a 40-year old Cub Cadet!
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

My experience. Adding wings to increase the bite of the blower work well in dry powder only. Breaking through the heavy snow pack left at the end of a driveway by the county plow truck will bend the wings backwards. Wings in heavy wet snow will overload the blower and pack the augers.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:00 am

Bill:

Yeah, that all be true. 20hp on a bench under no load is a whole different kettle of fish from an older 10hp Kohler, Briggs or Tecumseh. These newer engines are pretty much fluff. I have a 20hp Twin B&S on my JD L111 and I can tell you that the JD although stronger than many of the other new ones cannot shine a candle to my Cub, not even to my old Craftsman and it wasn't all that strong. I am curious to see what the difference will be when the 12hp 129 hydro gets up and running.

When people talk HP today it is like talking lemons, apples, grapefruits and kiwis all in the same sentence. There really is no common ground. That is why to me the drawbar rating would be the most accurate - but it is little understood by the average person. Even though I have been involved with engines of different types all my life, hp ratings for them all varied immensely.

Carl:

Yes, you do have a valid point. Many of the wings today are made out of 16 gauge or thinner stock which will not hold up well. The kind of tins used on say an IH-50 or a 30 year old Ariens, Toro or even a Craftsman were much thicker - 14 and possibly 12 gauge or thicker. That stuff will hold up to cutting through banks. One would hope that if someone is making a project like this that they will use the thickest stuff that they can and it makes sense.

Heavy wet snow is going to be a bear no matter what you do. Sometimes a blower simply is not the tool to use - I have my 13hp/33" cut Yardman -- it is a 2000 I think and it packs some oomph, but it will not blow slush or heavy wet snow. When that happens I simply call Ray with the loader on the Massey. Lot easier on me and the equipment. :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:32 am

Someone (Rick Prentice I think) at one of the Cubaramas had one he was building. Had it mostly done but still had some finishing touches to do on it. the thing that stood out most in my mind was it was powered by a vertical shaft engine that was mounted on the frame just in front of the driver. I thought I had some pictures of it, but can't find them. they may have been in the group I had a few years ago when I had the combination of the photo server I was using shut down and i had a computer drive fail, with the result that I had about an 18 month span that i could not recover. The pictures may have been in that group. if anyone has pictures of the 2009 or 2010 Cubarmas they may be in that group.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:10 pm

I just checked my files and yup you are right John. Rick powered it with a vertical shaft engine.

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:02 pm

Ok, had to do this just to stir up the pot a bit. A guy here locally has a snow blower from a number seried lo boy for sale. I posted in the Cub Vine classifides, but here are a couple of pics of it. May be something to adapt to a cub. Maybe use the existing drive shaft to the back of a Cub, then run it with a Kohler engine or something????

Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm

Yeah John Rick had that at Georges. It was mean looking. I'll go back through my pictures and see if I have one. Cowboy was there too among others.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 pm

Is that a snow storm moving in behind that tractor?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 am

Thought I'd jump in to clarify or confirm different comments. I actually had 2 different setups at George Willer's place, each at a different time. The first one was put together for George Hibbs. It was a low budget project because George wanted to use parts laying around instead of making it look fancy (we all do that from time to time). It was a 2 stage MTD blower and the 14hp vert shaft twin engine was mounted just ahead of the foot platform. That thing had amazing blowing power. The only issue was the noise of the briggs was far greater than the noise of the cub and George had a hard time telling what the cub was doing. If money was spent to quiet down the briggs or make the cub louder, things would've been different. Yes, the ground speed of the cub was faster than preferred, but the blower speed compensated for that.
Image(pictured is GeorgeH's 48 cub)
I had acquired a Danco big blower like Larry and Bill showed, and GeorgeH had a 185, so some trading was done and we installed the Danco on his 185. Shortly after we did that, George Hibbs took the setup to George Willers next gathering, but never unloaded things off the trailer. It wasn't finished yet because I still had to install the next snow cab setup. Here's a link to the cab install on the 185 http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=49411&hilit=snow+cab

Hope that clears some things up. Also, I re-installed my red snowcab back on my 48 cub with power angle and the first blower setup was never used again because a friend needed the 14 twin briggs for his garden tractor so I took the whole setup apart.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 pm

There's one of those Loboy blowers for sale locally... For $850. Too much IMHO.

Return to “Farmall Cub”