This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub snowblower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

cub snowblower

Postby ad356 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:33 pm

with all of this talk about removing snow with cubs using blades i was wondering how common a cub snow blower is? how well did they work? seems like they ran on their own engine looks like it was about a 10hp briggs. why didn't they use the PTO on the cub and drive the snowblower off of the PTO, why use an auxiliary engine? seems like danco also made a snowblower for the cub much like the IH unit with its own engine, seems like they arent very common units. why didnt they make a rear mount snowblower like you would find on more modern tractors, its seems like that arrangement would work great, you could have a rear mounted snowblower and keep the blade on the front, that would be quite the animal for snow removal i think. use the blower for the really big piles and use the blade for the smaller stuff.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub snowblower

Postby bythepond88 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:45 pm

I looked into a thrower attachment when I ran into trouble trying to push deep snow on a long driveway (140' plus and running between two houses, so I had to push straight ahead). I could get about 20 feet, and then she'd start spinning.

As far as I know, there was no snowblower made for the cultivision cubs or lo-boys before the number series, and those made for the number series will not work without significant modification.

That being said, I have seen reference to several blowers mounted on cubs that use an external power source, but they all seem to be one-offs.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:16 pm

Danco did make a snowblower attachment that was front mounted and ran off of the standard Cub and Cub Loboy PTO shafts in the rear. Whether or not the numbered series had one made for them specifically, I do not know.

Page 51 & 53 in Ken Updike's book shows a picture of it.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:26 pm

Actually, there was a Cub specific snowblower produced by Danco and sold by IH. It used an auxiliary motor to drive the blower.

Photo courtesy Wisconsin Historical Society
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

gitractorman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14072
eBay ID: toysforjake
Tractors Owned: Lots of Cub Cadets!
1951 Farmall Cub
1977 IH Cub
1966 IH Cub
1965 IH Lo Boy
1964 IH Lo Boy
1949 Farmall Cub
Several IH 154 Lo Boys
1979 IH 184 Lo Boy
Simplicity 4416 Sovereign
Simplicity Conquest
Simplicity Legacy 4x4 Diesel
Mitsubishi MT180D 4x4 Diesel

Postby gitractorman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 pm

It also doubled as a "seat warmer" with that exhaust there by the battery box. :lol:
Cub Cadets 682, 1811, 1864, Simplicity Legacy XL 4x4 Diesel with FEL, 60" mower, 50" Tiller

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:28 pm

ad356 wrote:Why didn't they use the PTO on the cub and drive the snowblower off of the PTO, why use an auxiliary engine?
You need to keep the snowblower rpms up and vary the tractor ground speed to match snow conditions. A standard transmission, without a creeper gear, 1st gear at high idle, the ground speed is frequently to fast for snow conditions.
I have an excuse. CRS.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:46 pm

Eugene wrote:
ad356 wrote:Why didn't they use the PTO on the cub and drive the snowblower off of the PTO, why use an auxiliary engine?
You need to keep the snowblower rpms up and vary the tractor ground speed to match snow conditions. A standard transmission, without a creeper gear, 1st gear at high idle, the ground speed is frequently to fast for snow conditions.
Absolutely right about the cub having to much ground speed.

I had a Cub snow thrower...I sold to a forum member for $25 which was all he figured it would be worth if it didn't throw wet snow. Who knows what he did with it...I am sure it will appear out here in some pix at some point with an auxillery engine. EddieH up in Canada had the start of a nice project going with one,too. Not sure if he ever finished his. Having trouble with Photohost to get at the pix. Will post pix soon.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Sure brings back memories of snowblowers. I had a Simplicity walk behind model. How do I recall that flash of wet snow, caught by the wind, and flung right into my face? Not very kindly. But for getting fresh snow over a mound of the already packed solid white stuff, I now use a shovel and wonder about a snowblower....

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:32 pm

When I first started thinking about building a front mounted snow blower for my Cub a number of years ago it was pretty much pooh-poohed as not viable. The big fixation seemed to be on the PTO and ground speed. To me the obvious solution was to do what IH did way back when and that was to use an auxiliary power source. Not being a real steel fabricator, I had ideas but no clear idea how to put it all together so I did some research. I reached out to Rejean an inet chum over in Quebec who built his a number of years ago. A Cub cannot blow snow? This proves otherwise...

And the video he posted showing the details

I always knew it could work. Mine is getting there - just need some time to fabricate that isn't broken up by med issues :big give up: Rejean and Rick have been a huge help and all that is really left is to physically put it together. All the pieces are there now. And boy could I ever use it now - it is snowing and it seems we are in the midst of a Winter Storm Warning. Lots of blowing snow, high winds. I just hope it doesn't rain tonight.

I have an IH-50 that I am kind of curious how to put to good use. Those puppies can really chug some snow hooked up to a Numbered Cub with the creeper gear. For a single stage they are pretty decent. Some day I will figure out a use for it.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:50 am

is that snowblower in the video something that was produced by IH or was it something that someone custom built? also how common is the danco unit because i have seen pictures but i have never actually seen one for sale? it seems like it would be quite useful and would really add to the cub's already good snow removing ability. i wonder why there werent more produced. too bad a modern company wouldnt produce one for the cub today the way woods still produces mowers for the cubs.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:29 am

The one in the video was custom adapted to the Cub. Don't know how many of the Danco's were built. But, I have never seen one, or a recent photo of one. I'm sure there are some out there, though. There are not enough Cubs left in service to make it profitable for someone to produce one. Bear in mind that the Woods mower deck that you speak of is used in many different applications. Only the bracketry is different between models.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:56 am

Image Here is the one I had,lady said is was on her husbands lowboy.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:29 am

If you want a new one, there are multiple versions made for ATVs and the like. Several could certainly be adapted for a Cub with little difficulty. For example:
http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.com/4-wheeler-snow-thrower.htm

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 pm

I don't think that's a Danco, Chris.

Photo courtesy Wisconsin Historical Society
Last edited by Don McCombs on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:14 pm

Nah Don, it's not but it came from an IH dealer. Has a frame that mounts under the Cub. I got it with a bunch of other Cub equipment. Maybe the new owner will chime in.I suspect he's been working on it...getting the engine on. Bob Perry....any updates?

Return to “Farmall Cub”