This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cub snowblower

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: cub snowblower

Postby bob in CT » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm

I have a 1957 parts price list for a Gravely snow blower.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:11 am

This was going to be my summer project (before 2 surgeries) - 42" Sears snowblower, mounted on rear w/v-belt drive off of pulley attachment. Drive pulley sized to drive blower @ correct speed @ full throttle in reverse! May have to get Sonny's input to weld up the mounting bracket but seems like it would work to me?!? 2013 is a new year!!! Dusty B
Attachments
IMG_2985.jpg
IMG_2985.jpg (44.32 KiB) Viewed 926 times
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:11 am

Dusty B wrote:............ but seems like it would work to me?!? 2013 is a new year!!! Dusty B

Dusty, I would loosely equate running a snow blower off the PTO with a 59-60" triple spindle mower deck. It works fine in light to moderate grass but it doesn't take much to get to where it bogs the tractor down. The cub can run it but only under the right conditions. The snow blower will work but will you be able to use it effectively in every snowfall, or just the light fluffy ones that come from the southwest in the afternoon on Thursdays? My OPINION, and it is just my opinion, is that you are wasting your time. Of course I'm rooting for you to prove me wrong. :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:18 am

When building a rear mounted item such as a snow blower, think about your age and health. Arthritis in you neck and shoulders or back tends to make something that was easy to do when you were 30 almost impossible at 60. turning around far enough to see both sides of a rear snow blower for an hour or two cleaning roads is one of those problems.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:23 am

I have toyed around with the idea of a tractor mounted snowblower but will stick with a walk-behind blower for several reasons. Manuverability. Size. Weight. Manuverability. Durability. Parts availability. Manuverability. Storage. Ease of operation. Manuverability.

Perched on a Cub with your head high above the discharge chute is not a desirable location if the wind is blowing. Personal blizzard.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm with Carl, unless you have a very large or long area to keep clear. Then, a larger tractor and blower combination is the way to go.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:40 pm

When I bought #48 it came with a Haban blower. it will clear a 45 inch path. It was modified to attach to the front plow bracket. It came with a belt that runss from the blower back through the mule drive and to the PTO. I am thinking it would be better with a 12 horse B&S or larger. Fab a Bracket Off the back draw bar.
Attachments
IMGP0800.JPG
Pete from Virginia Beach

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:09 pm

That looks like a very nice blower - and 42" isn't a bad width. You would be right though - best if it is powered by an auxilliary B&S etc.

As far as some of the points Carl and Don raised ... these are easily addressed. I for one am not a fan of 2" of frozen snow on my face and the rest of me. BtDt more times than I care to remember and certainly never want to repeat again. Part of my snowblower project includes a vital part of Rick's project:

For those of us with long driveways and a Cub with no access to larger tractors on a permanent basis, then this project makes sense. I do agree with a couple more of their points, a project like this is not for every one just like my splitter project isn't for everyone. But as another chum stated, those of us on the forum that a well kinda nutty - we like the challenges and of course we like to be able to see just what our Cubs can do. It is also a learning experience. I know I would never have learned diddley about hydraulic power if I had not done blade and splitter project. I am going to take what I learned there and eventually have hydraulically operated chute controls both direction and elevation. I am going to have Cab as well and have been assembling some parts/locating other parts and ideas on a Cab.

I already have found 1 - 6 volt wiper motor from an old VW. Hope it still works. It has been in a barn for 30 years so I figure a rebuild should take care of that. And Romeo (Dad's cousin) had this for sale a couple years ago ... nice idea and within my fab skillset.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:03 pm

I had these in my pictures from Cubarma 2006.

More pictures at
http://home.centurytel.net/ejpuckett/Snow%20blower/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm

what kind of engine is that, looks like a huge engine. not your typical K series kohler or B&S, is it? is that the danco??

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:47 pm

Not a Danco. The engine is a Wisconsin. Homemade.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:26 am

I found a 48" snowthrower off one of those case "high-wheel" garden tractors on craigslist... pretty cheap I think.

It would be perfect mounted on my '53.

Do I *really* need another project?

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:26 am

I had a snowblower (IH50) on my 184. Threw snow well when the snow was less than 6". The creeper gear solved the forward speed issue. The blower was powered from the PTO. There was a belt running from the PTO to the driveshaft (under the tractor) and being a numbered series, had a live PTO. The blower took everything the 184 could do and had to run wide open. It was single stage and threw the snow about 4-5' to the side.
I sold it this year in favor of a walk-behind as my driveway is not big enough to warrant the tractor changeover time.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:48 am

The IH-50 is a single stage snow thrower and not as efficient as a 2 stage snow blower. It lacks the impeller and the auger tube is really huge. Again, the PTO powered blower is a real limiter - if the blower is powered separately then sufficient power can be transmitted to the auger or auger/impeller to move the snow at high speed while allowing the tractor to move forward at a slower speed.

Matt:

Yes you do need another project :D

64/67lo-boy:

One of the problems with smaller units (less than the width of your Cub) is trying to navigate around the left overs - front and rears end up on the ridges and that can cause problems. But, there is a solution - cutter wings - extend the effective width of the blower by adding cutter wing extensions to both sides of the blower. If your Cub has a 52" track then you need 7" or 2 3-1/2" cutter wing extensions. These will gather in the snow to the auger and widen your swath without bogging down the blower. I see these all the time on older large units that are modified for newer tractors.

I really gotta get off me duff and get this done. If I can hold off any other med issues, I need to get this one done and ready for next year. A little too cold to do it now
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:37 pm

Hey Rudi this what you are talking about. I need one on the other side so it will be 48" wide. Im thinking of getting a used riding mower with a 17.5HP and an electric clutch. Would have electric start and all. Same as you, would like to have it going for next year.
IMGP0797.JPG
42" blower, wing gives it 3" more total is 45"
Pete from Virginia Beach

Return to “Farmall Cub”