This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear tire changing

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Rear tire changing

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:35 am

Not all tire shops are set up to do the 24" rears on a Cub. You'd probably be best off finding a place that does big truck tires if you don't have a shop that specializes in ag tires.

Cub rear tires are right at that point where it's about the same to work on them on or off the tractor doing it yourself. They're light enough to handle, but heavy enough that it does help to have them bolted to a tire changing "stooge."

On larger tractors, we've always used a 48" farm jack to break the beads. Simply jack against the tractor's drawbar, with the foot against the tire, to push the inside bead off. Use a chain to pull against to pop the outside bead off.

I've been eyeing those manual bead breakers on ebay. The pros use air-powered ones and they make quick work of the big tractor tires.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Into Tractors
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45387

Postby Into Tractors » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 am

Barnyard wrote:Mike Duncan (Into Tractors) had made the plywood adaptor and was going to post pix of it for a how to but he hasn't gotten around to it yet. Maybe he will see this and respond.

Hmmm, thought I had posted those pic's a long time ago. Can't locate the pics in my files, I do have things organized pretty well as I have all the pics from my other projects, but I don't see the pics from doing the rear tire change but I know I took pics of it, might be getting older these days

Maybe I lost the little camera cable thingy :?: :lol:

Give me a couple of days due to the recent snow and the holidays, it'll take some pics but not sure if I can do the entire mock-up as I did before. I still use the adapter and HF tire changer to dismount the rear tires, but I've gone to mounting them using the thick plastic bag method as others have used.
Mike Duncan

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:14 am

I thought you had posted them too Mike, but I have done several searches with no luck.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 am

This is what Buzzard Wing in 2006..and Arizona Mike posted in 2009… it's what Scrivet was talking about http://www.gemplers.com/a/pages/tchange.asp I have done this out in the field and it worked ok in the conditions I was in….Also rubber lube helps putting the tire back on…if not available you can substitute silicone spray.

Without a bead breaker I've done it like danovercash has done and on small tractor tires (like a Cub) and also I’ve used C-Clamps.

I’ve changed a few tractor and truck tires in my life; I would strongly suggest a bead breaker like Scrivet was talking about.

BDFinch wrote:
Since I am a wimpy female, I have taken my last 3 sets of tires to my local tire place and for $10 each.

I recently seen a 6’4” man almost cry removing a combine tire…I wish that $10 deal was available

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks to everyone who came back with tons of great information.....I like the bead breaker idea....I just moved to my location in New York a few years ago so I haven't really found anyone who changed tractor tires yet....Of course I'd rather do it myself, speaking from a 20 year old mind rather than my 66 year old body....Thanks again for the comebacks.... Great help......Dave
In Memory of 58,286

DarinO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby DarinO » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:17 pm

When breaking them down off of the tractor, I have used a farmall fast hitch to apply down force, much like the loader idea mentioned earlier. I put a 4x4 block next to the bead, so that I was able to lift the entire rear of the 400 barely off of the ground for max. force. Sometimes it still takes a few tries.
"that'll take the mule out of the melon patch!" Bub Baker

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:11 am

pickerandsinger wrote:
Of course I'd rather do it myself, speaking from a 20 year old mind rather than my 66 year old body

….It’s tough for me to realize this also

CharlieK
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40165

Postby CharlieK » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:55 pm

i do mine w/toothbar on front of loader of my kubota using downward force--sometimes wifie has to direct the show while i sit on the kubota inching forward and patiently awaiting her command to "holt it right there"--piece o cake and she helps with mounting after tire sits in the sun or next to the wood burner to limber up--don't forget to use plenty of wd-40 for lube on rim
get er done; life is good

tulalipjames
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 98271
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub
1947 Gibson E

Postby tulalipjames » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:33 pm

Western states have Les Schwab tire dealers allover the place. Go to one located in a small town in a rural area. Had my 9x14 tires replaced with used 14.4x24 tires that once ran on the front of a green tractor for $46, including new tubes, at Les Schwab in Mt Vernon, WA. Les passed away a few years ago. He also was a rancher and was well known for giving away free beef with purchase of tires. If you have a slow leak in a tire, they fix it for free, even if you didn't buy it there. A tire store you've got to love.

Return to “Farmall Cub”