Hydraulics and the cold

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:05 am

I've notice while snow plowing that my hydraulics seems slightly stiffer than usual. Is this do to the cold or is there something I should be looking into? Other than that and the fact that I froze my butt off plowing last night trying to stay ahead of the game my Lil girl kicked butt plowing. I noticed a little chugging a lugging when letting my foot of the clutch to fast but it's probably over due for a tune up.
Last edited by Barnyard on Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: language

Re: Hydraulics and the cold

Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:07 am

That's normal when the hydraulic fluid is cold. The touch control and engine will both work better once everything warms up. And when it's cold out that takes forever.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:51 am

Thanks Denny

Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:08 pm

Johnny, what are you using for hydraulic fluid?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:35 pm

I'd have to run out and check but it's to cold out :) . What do you recommend?

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:38 pm

Johnny:

Hy-Tran or Hy-Tran Ultra is the best, however I now use Perma-Tran - the Massey equivalent. Any Hydraulic fluid that meets or exceeds MS1209 specifications will do the job but Hy-Tran is my favourite.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:30 pm

:Dito:

What Rudi said.

If you have industrial hydraulic oil in the unit, it lacks pour point additives that you'd want for use in cold weather. Hy-Tran or equivalent is the ticket.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:17 am

Will going back to Hi-Tran help my knees?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:41 am

DanR wrote:Will going back to Hi-Tran help my knees?

No, but you touch control will thank you for it :lol: :lol:

Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:47 am

I have found that in my loader cub the hydraulics were real slow in the cold weather. I found that the hytran or eqivilent in 0 weather was too thick to the point that the internal screen filter collapsed and blocked the inlet to the pump. I since fixed the filter and have been using automatic transmission fluid. have had no problems. that was 10 years ago.