This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

23a disk harrow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

23a disk harrow

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 02, 2005 8:49 pm

in the manual for the 23A disk harrow page 3 it says fill the pressure gun with pressure gun lubricant and pump it into the bearings.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... e%2003.jpg
What is pressure gun lubricant and what is a pressure gun? It looks to have plastic hoses to the bearings so i doubt it is a grease gun.
Help?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon May 02, 2005 9:00 pm

Bill I'm sure it just means a pump style grease gun and grease.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon May 02, 2005 9:30 pm

Thanks I guess that is one of the old style guns about 10 inches long like my grand father had that you pulled a rod out the back and pushed it in to grease. Todays lever guns scare me with what looks to be plastic tubing feeding the bearings. They create great amounts of pressure.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon May 02, 2005 10:52 pm

The grease fittings on a 23a disk were mounted directly on the beairng blocks. I assume someone has added a remote grease kit to yours to make it easier to grease it and reduce the cleaning of the fittings that was a pain with the original setup. The remote grease kits consisted of fittings that replaced the ones in the beairng caps, mouning brackets and high pressure hoses availabe in various lengths. Even if the ones on your disk are not high pressure hoses, ther is no seal in the disk beaings and you simply push old grease and dirt out so there is very little pressure on the hoses anyway.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Mon May 02, 2005 11:19 pm

I've seen those add-on one point lube jobs. Trouble is: if it has one grease fitting on a manifold with several of the small hoses going to each bearing, the grease tends to just go to the one bearing with the least resistance and the others stay dry. If it has one grease fitting per hose then it will shove the grease on thru each one. I like the one to one setup myself, and I WISH I knew where my Grandfather found grease fittings with threaded caps on them. They were the coolest thing. He was a boiler mechanic for 50 years or so. Never have seen them other than as a teen in his garage and the back of his station wagon.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 03, 2005 6:26 am

It must be a vintage thing because the owners manual I down loaded from Rudys server shows them as standard. There is one per bearing.
Thank you all. I can see now that with no seal you will not build up pressure.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu May 12, 2005 11:01 pm

I took the disk apart to change 8 of the disks. The grease fittings were raised on short pieces of 3/8 pipe. None of the origionals would take grease so I replaced them too. The bolts holding the bearing blocks together were badly corroded, I replaced all 8 of them too.
I could not get the nuts off of the shaft the disks mount on so I cut them off with a cold chisel. Of course that meant buying hex head nut replacements for the Square headed ones I cut off. Most of the disks in the two front gangs were split, or broken off. I replaced those 8. I used one of the remove ones to replace the broken 1 in one of the rear gangs. The grease in the bearing blocks had turned as stiff as bar soap. I cleaned the bearings pumped in a couple of tubes of grease and disked the garden.
As many will remember the plow I was using on my green 1050 would not line up as BD had instructed me. This left hills and valleys with much of the grass still showing. Even with all the rocks of Deleware county NY fighting the disk, we got business done. The 5 patio blocks I lashed to the saddle above each gang of disks (total 20) put the weight on and smothed the soil. The garden no longer looks like a topo map of mount Everest. Thank you all, first for the disk and next for the parts list on Rudis server so that I knew the part number to order for this uses 14 in disks. BD for the how too advise and john for the warning that the disk harrow it self would way in around 300-400 pounds.
Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop