This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can only start cub in gear.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Leatherwood Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43778

Can only start cub in gear.

Postby Leatherwood Cub » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:11 pm

I can only start cub in gear, when pushing on clutch pedal it does not release clutch. After removing inspection cover to see clutch, i found that one of the adjusting screws was missing, can this adjusting screw be replaced. Also why wont tractor move when it is in neutral.
Thanks for any help

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Can only start cub in gear.

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:30 pm

Leatherwood Cub:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.

Depends on which clutch you have as to what part is needed.

If your Cub's Serial Number ends in J then you probably have a Rockford Clutch - see the drawing below:

If there is no J at the end of the Serial Number you may well have an Auburn Clutch - see the drawing below:

Either way the parts are available and can be sourced from a number of places - check with our sponsors below such as TM Tractor or Carter and Grunewald for new parts and JP Tractor or possibly Hamilton Bob (he usually deals in numbered series Cubs but one never knows). There is also the classified forums here on the site that can be useful as well.

For the not moving in neutral, I imagine you are stuck between gears so you will have to look in the tranny under the shifter - see the drawing below:

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Leatherwood Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leatherwood Cub » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:49 pm

If stuck between gears how do you get them free.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Reading the GSS-1411 Service Manual for Cubs and Lo-boy Tractors Revision 1- Section 6 - Transmission And Differential section is a good start. I am not all that comfy with tranny's - I am still learning how to get them unstuck. I had my 47 stuck between gears and I rocked her back and forth a number of times -- couple dozen anyways and all of a sudden she came free. My problem was a bit of rust forming between moving parts - as I had drained the tranny and only had kerosene in it to clean. Needless to say once she was unstuck, SAE 90Wt went into the tranny pronto.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:08 pm

It could be the shift forks are not lining up. With the shifter in neutral remove the top of the trans. The forks should be in line. If not, you will have to tap them so they do line up. Once they are in line the tractor should roll. A couple of thinks could cause them to get out of line. A worn shifter is one another is a broken fork. Of course they may have been forced out of line while attempting to fix the problem initially. Inspect every thing for damage and if none is found put the top back on, making sure the stick is still in neutral position. It may jump right back out (in which case you need to look again for a problem), or it may work fine with no further problems.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks Bill, I keep forgetting the forks......... this might help Tranny Repair 101

Leatherwood Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Leatherwood Cub » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 pm

THANKS I WILL CHECK THE SHIFTING FORKS. WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT I FIND.

birddog
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54515

Postby birddog » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Also why wont tractor move when it is in neutral.

Unless I'm misreading some thing, the tractor shouldn't move when in neutral. The transmission needs to be in gear for the engine to transmit power to the wheels. If you mean it won't role when in neutral then the transmission is stuck in two gears at once and as stated above is probably a fork problem.

I can only start cub in gear, when pushing on clutch pedal it does not release clutch.

I assume you are starting in gear so as to be able to drive the tractor, if this is correct and the tractor moves as it should I don't think that you have any type of transmission problem.

i found that one of the adjusting screws was missing, can this adjusting screw be replaced

I don't know from first hand experience, but I have seen where others said they were able to replace the adjusting screw.
Mark "birddog" Birdeau
Circle of Safety

10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43783

Postby 1541 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't know the back ground on this tractor or when it quit moving when in neutral. However, with the cold weather here in Ohio this week the transmission could be frozen. I have seen this happen where there is a lot of water in there.

Doug
Buckeye Cub Tug
July 26 & 27, 2024
Somerset, Ohio

Return to “Farmall Cub”