This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

48cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
greg bottom
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 68420

48cub

Postby greg bottom » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:24 am

can i use a 12 volt battery and just disconnect the battery wire from the generator and just charge the battery every now and then

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: 48cub

Postby Rudi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Greg:

I would not want to be wrong on this, but it occurs to me that the output from the generator has to go somewhere otherwise you might do damage to it. So this begs the question - why do you want a put a 12 v battery on a 6 v Cub? Judging from your previous post, your Cub runs as it should. If it is starting problems ... then you really need to solve the issue. A 12 volt battery will not fix the underlying problem. If you don't have a warm place to chase down the problems (which are probably grounds and connections not being clean and bright bare metal), then I would suggest adding a Battery Maintainer to your tool box. Connect the battery maintainer to charge your 6v in between uses. That way your Cub will start easily in the cold.

You can find good deals on the Schumacher SEM-1562A 1.5 Amp Speed Charge Maintainer

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:08 pm

This is what I use.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72170

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Greg, I doubt you will do harm to the generator. In fact if you leave it hooked up the power generated will just go to the battery, just not enough to help the battery, naturally. Your other concern would be if your other components such as the coil, lights, etc are 6v they need to be disconnected to prevent burning them up.

I'm like the rest, I don't know what your aim is. If it is to get better starts, then definitely start with a good tune up.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”