This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stuck in two gears

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason (IL)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60936
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub SN 8664
48 Cub
50 Demo
54 Cub
3-55 Cub
2-56 Cub
55 LOBOY SN 876
57 LOBOY
58 French Cub
2- 60 LOBOY
69 Cub
54 Super M
42 H
48 H
57 300LP
57 450
Cub Cadet 123
Cub Cadet 149
Circle of Safety: Y

Stuck in two gears

Postby Jason (IL) » Tue May 03, 2005 7:47 am

I was out dragging the ball fields last night with one of my cubs and got the tractor loaded on the trailor and all the sudden it wouldn't move stuck in two gears. I had heard of this problem and seen it before but the first time grandpa said to rock it back and forth and wiggle the shifter and it would pop out of gear. Well it worked the first time but this time It was suck so I popped off the shifter cover and it was stuck in reverse and second. I drove it up on the trailor in first, before I shut it off always put in in reverse. What causes the problem to happen, I have noticed that my shifter seems to be bent a little and the shifter also moves hard side to side, Do I have something out of aline, I checked the shifter forks they were all tight. Any ideas, I can't afford to lose this tractor for a week it is the only one I have running at this time.

Thanks
Jason

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue May 03, 2005 8:18 am

Jason, if your shifter forks are nice and tight and not bent, you may have excessive wear in the shifter tower or on the ball at the bottom of the shift lever. You might want to take a look at Mr. Willer's shifter repair write-up:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Articles%20by%20George%20Willer/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair/Cub%20Shifter%20Repair%20and%20Improvement.htm

Excessive slop in the shift lever could keep the shifter from fully engaging the fork when shifting.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Tue May 03, 2005 8:41 am

:idea: Wonder if someone in the past welded the top cup on the shift rod back on a little off center. That would explain the tight movement side to side. (maybe)
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farmall Cub”