This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:52 pm

maybe its a prototype and you have the only one or its a conspiracy :shock:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm

I really do believe that it is 'factory'. It is possible that someone went to considerable effort to make it look that good, but it seems more likely they made a few like that and decided it wasn't worth it. Or the change came too close to the demise of the Lo Boy, so they just quit ordering them??

I left a few square nose hoods at the painter. All were early ones. I got the first one back and there was no way it would fit my 65 Lo Boy (the one I needed it to fit), the filler neck was too short and you couldn't tighten the radiator cap without scratching the paint. It has a 'pointer' peak than any other!?! The overall dimension of the hood 'face' is longer than the others. All the bolt holes lined up but it just didn't fit. Tom at TM told me there is a different hood and radiator (longer filler neck) but wasn't sure when. So IH used a different radiator and hood for some period of time. Surely it was documented at the factory, but it stumped me, big. One day I will get around to the 64 Cub, have a nice extended neck radiator for it. :D

Parts manuals are intended for dealers and end users, it will list what 'repair parts' they will stock and sell. That they show one part number for fender(s) means that if you need a right fender for a 1947 Cub you will get one with the fast hitch helper spring reinforcement and 3 holes for a flashing light bracket. A left fender for yeller Cub after about 1968.

1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 am

Anyone have a quick fix for getting the orange juice I snorted up off my laptop....Great discussion!!!! Dave
In Memory of 58,286

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:15 am

hey pickerandasinger, almost as much fun as sitting around the campfire discussing the 30-06 vs the 270, or the 9mm vs 45acp :lol: coppersmythe......................................................

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:01 am

coppersmythe wrote:hey pickerandasinger, almost as much fun as sitting around the campfire discussing the 30-06 vs the 270, or the 9mm vs 45acp :lol: coppersmythe......................................................

9mm vs the 45acp????????????????????????????????????????? HUh lol
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

daddydip wrote:9mm vs the 45acp????????????????????????????????????????? HUh lol

No contest, there. :wink:
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:44 pm

I don't mean to sound skeptical, but something else that doesn't look quite right is the difference between these two pictures. This strengthens my belief they were done by one individual or more than one individual maybe. Look at the difference in the two fenders. The top pic is angled rearward where the bottom pic is more straight out. Also, Boss' appears to be slightly closer to the front edge of the foot platform than the second pic. More pics of the second fender would be really helpful in determining the truth which is what we all should want.

I still belive from a manufacting standpoint, a piece was added to the egde(roundstock or tube). Imagine a machine needed to roll that heavy metal to form a tight 1/2" diameter curl, especially on the top curved part of the fender. Metal doesn't like to do those compound bends without being stamped,
Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:59 pm

the second pic is homemade in my opinion looks like it was just cut off
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Let me throw out another possibility. Most manufacturers, that have dealerships and service departments, frequently send out technical or service bulletins. These bulletins describe various techniques for solving problems with their products. These solutions don't necessarily make their way into product redesigns or parts revisions. I am sure that IH did the same or similar. Could it be that IH, when notified of the difficulty of mounting the LoBoy, sent out a bulletin to their dealerships describing a technique to resolve the issue? The inconsistencies we are seeing may be nothing more than the various dealership's interpretation of how to execute the fix.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:14 pm

It does not explain the pic in the book, If it was the same fender they would not have put 2 drawings of it in there. It is easy to see that it is a cut fender in my opinion in the book.
Regardless whether you think one way or the other about my fender. It is in the book.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

64/67lo-boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23453
Tractors Owned: .
48 cub
67 loboy
52 super c
74 cub 154
50 c

Postby 64/67lo-boy » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:57 pm

May be it was used on tractors sent over seas. That orchard tractor they used in the vinyards seemed kinda narow. What else did they make that we have not come across yet?
Pete from Virginia Beach

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:16 pm

Could be just that, a fender used on purpose built lo boys. Maybe factory equipped lo boys with a loader came with em. Or it could have been a dealer modification a few dealerships done to help the lo boys sell better. The world will never know lol. But I believe also in the drawing as that is a clear picture sketched of a cut fender. Truly a mystery to go along with the holes in the floor pan.

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:24 pm

its a limited edition factory fender that was just too exspensive or too much trouble/profit margine "challenged" to produce. it got to a certain point in the IH system and was killed. i get the feeling that IH was not a "tightly" run ship.that drawing/parts page is pretty clear, something happened . :shock: :wink: coppersmythe........................................................
Last edited by Dennis on Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited - Remove extraneous comment.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I guess I don't understand what's so hard about seeing this picture with the lines
manualfender.jpg

bossfender.jpg

even if you move the line lower to the holes instead of at the main outward curve of the fenders, there's no way your fender matches the manual pic-----2 different animals. Please try to explain your reasoning. I'm really trying to understand this.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:45 pm

as I said; Regardless whether you think one way or the other about my fender. It is in the book.
The fender in the book is a cut finder do you agree with that?
I think mine was factory made as it has the original paint as far as I can tell. Do I think it is exactly like the drawing No I dont .
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Return to “Farmall Cub”