This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sdurnal
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47201
Tractors Owned: 105 & 127 cadet (sacrificed for a 4wd project)

680 Cadet
1964 LoBoy FH
L-54A Blade
Pennington 3 spindle deck
LF-194 plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

Postby sdurnal » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Here's a '64 for your viewing pleasure. Not square in the front. They are a bit tough to get on with the FH crank & Deluxe seat. Kinda hard to get my "seat" past the steering wheel & crank. hehe
Attachments
photo.JPG3.JPG

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:14 am

Do I think the picture in the manual was poorly drawn----YES. Same as this picture from the loboy manual on page 15. It also appears to be blumt (the left fender at the rear)on the end because of the angle of the picture, but a different view reveals it's really an ordinary fender and resembles Stan's rounded fender.

I still believe your fender is not factory made like the other fenders out there that've been cut off. Sorry for disagreeing with, hope we're still friends.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 am

I don't think they would make that big of a mistake in the parts book. It has been a long time since I looked at a Cub parts book, is the LoBoy in the standard Cub book, and was there more than one revision with the LoBoy? If so it would be interesting to compare the illustration in an early parts book with a later one.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:07 am

it is a fun thing to contemplate. is there another drawing a little different. i certainly am not a expert on loboys , it sure seems compelling :D coppersmythe.............

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:17 am

Just to throw another question into the picture, what's the date the drawing was published? The drawing is very clear on what it shows. As coppersmythe said it sure is a fun debate going and I think that's what's great about this place, a lot of good people can come together with different ideas and opinions from all over to build a good discussion as we have here. In some cases we end up with a divi ate answer in the end and sometimes you have unsolved mysteries. Regardless, a lot can be learned here and it's great to share everybody's views. :D

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 am

I dont think IH would have done any altering to the fender at the factory. It would have been cost prohibitive. However at the time these tractors were being sold is when IH was having trouble with the imports taking over. I would think that a dealer would have done anything to modify a tractor to make the sale. If a prospective buyer liked the tractor over all but ease of mounting the tractor was a problem then im shure something would have been done about it. The fender alteration was either done by a dealer or by a owner along the way. I know on my loboy with the liader it is a bear to get on and off and I have thought about cutting the fender. Havent done it yet and dont think i will. I havent seen a cut fender in a loboy in the past 40 years.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:43 am

Super A, coppersmythe and Chris D,
Your questions about the drawing were pretty well covered back on page 2 of this thread. To recap and expand slightly:
1) The Lo-Boy and standard Cub are in the same parts catalogs.
2) All editions I have seen or anyone else has produced use the same fender drawing, except for the detail of adding the bolt holes for the flasher bracket.
3) The earliest edition that includes the Lo-Boy that I have seen has a January 1956 date and has the same drawing.
4) The same drawing applies to both the Lo-Boy and standard Cub, with the same part number called out for both tractors in any edition of the catalog.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 am

Two observations:

1. Look at the rear edge of the fender in the drawing and compare to the actual fender. The real fender doesn't have that extended flat section around the back edge before rounding off. The back edge of the fender rounds right over.

2. The cut fenders may have been a mid-production "experiment" like the no-holes hoods in 1955.

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:57 am

I would sure hate to see this discussion come to blows!! :wink:
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Dennis
Site Admin
Zip Code: 64075
Tractors Owned: 1947 Farmall Cub
104 Cub Cadet
Cub Cadet Original

Postby Dennis » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:17 pm

thiggy wrote:I would sure hate to see this discussion come to blows!! :wink:

I don't think that will ever happen. :lol:

This has been an interesting discussion. The answer may only come from a dealer, former IH engineer or be buried deep in the historical society archives. Close, in person, examination of the fender may also yield some clues to its origin.
Image Proud Member
Are you a member? Copy this code below and paste it in your signature to display it proudly!

Code: Select all

[url=http://nationalihcollectors.com/index.html][img]http://farmallcub.com/images/ihcc.jpg[/img][/url]

Circle of Safety Passed the "Circle of Safety" test? Add your signature badge using

Code: Select all

[cos][/cos]
What is the Circle of Safety

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Some other interesting drawings from the manuals on Rudi's site that proove pictures aren't always perfect.

and this image again from the fasthitch manual. Image on page 2 almost looks to have blunt looking fenders until you scroll down to image on page 4 and look at the rear of left fender.

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Clint Carter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27265
Tractors Owned: Ford 2000
78 Cub Fast Hitch Red
78 Cub Red
76 Cub Red
75 Cub (Not Long Stripe) Yellow
70 Cub Yellow Fast Hitch
53 Cub 151 Disk Plow
69 Cub

Postby Clint Carter » Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:56 pm

I looks like all of the hole in the drawing are in the right place, i dont think the person drawing the pic. would take the time to put all of the holes in the right place and draw the fender wrong. ????
Have A Nice Day!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Heck Rick, You are only stating your opinion, same as me, nothing to fall out about :D
We may have to agree to disagree :wink: But I will not give up cause I believe there was a cut fender
weather there was or not I may never find out for sure, but I will look and hunt and ask questions.
Not so long ago, folks had doubt about the red 64 12 volt farmall cubs with white hoods. I think
most have changed their minds about that :D I am still gathering Data on them. The fender is a different bird though. My dealer did not sell many lo boy. and has very little input on it other than saying he thinks my fender is factory, by the looks of it.

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I did not start the post until I talked to him and showed him the fender.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 pm

I decided to take a ride to what used to be the IH dealership my uncle had owned. The service manager from back in the Loboy days still roams around there. I showed him a picture of David's fender and asked if he had ever saw one. He said he only saw one in his life, but he also said that if it were from a factory it would definitely have a continuous stamped roll along the edge. He said IH wouldn't have done it any different.

I also asked him if there could have been a service bulletin issued as Don McCombs suggested. He said it is quite possible that there was but he was unaware of any. He went through some of his old books and never found a bulletin, but said that doesn't mean they didn't issue one. He said if it was a dealer modification they probably were done differently depending on how the dealer did it.

I did find these, so we know more are out there but you can see a big difference in the cut on them.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”