This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Right hand Lo Boy cut fender from factory

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:04 pm

The holes are right, but look at the SHAPE of that right fender.

It doesn't go straight up for 6" like that. It curls right around and goes straight into the top arc.

The left fender's shape in the first drawing is about right, but the right fender is totally wrong.

Either the original Cub had two different-shaped fenders, or someone was allergic to drawing right fenders.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Reid
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jim Reid » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:16 pm

In order to keep the fire burning i don't know how to transfer the ad from craigslist but there is an ad on craigslist in Winston Salem,NC for a 1949 cub lo boy so this could have been another one of a kind. :D :D

Jim

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 pm

the drawing isnt perfect but it proves that fender was in the works at some point .
Last edited by Rob in NH on Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

indy61
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby indy61 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Jim Reid wrote:In order to keep the fire burning i don't know how to transfer the ad from craigslist but there is an ad on craigslist in Winston Salem,NC for a 1949 cub lo boy so this could have been another one of a kind.

Naw, just someone that doesn't know.

http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/grd/3526215528.html

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:53 pm

2 more odd ball from IH

Never machined but made their way to the dealer :D
I may do a contest on them
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:02 pm

Barnyard wrote:I decided to take a ride to what used to be the IH dealership my uncle had owned. The service manager from back in the Loboy days still roams around there. I showed him a picture of David's fender and asked if he had ever saw one. He said he only saw one in his life, but he also said that if it were from a factory it would definitely have a continuous stamped roll along the edge. He said IH wouldn't have done it any different.

I also asked him if there could have been a service bulletin issued as Don McCombs suggested. He said it is quite possible that there was but he was unaware of any. He went through some of his old books and never found a bulletin, but said that doesn't mean they didn't issue one. He said if it was a dealer modification they probably were done differently depending on how the dealer did it.

I did find these, so we know more are out there but you can see a big difference in the cut on them.

I dont think they ever tooled up to make them in a mold or stamping process. Wonder was that yellow primer ever available to a dealer?
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:44 pm

I took a picture of a pair of fenders, tried to come close to the angle of the parts catalog drawing. The lower tape line is between the extreme end points of the fender. The upper line starts at the same point in the rear. The other end hits the roll of the fender directly above the two holes in the fender.

Attachments
fenders-s.jpg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:04 pm

Jim you have the tape below the holes on the real finder , Draw a line below the holes on the fender in the parts book and see what you come up with, whole new ball game
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:25 pm

I am using the shape of the fender for reference points rather than the holes. The holes seem to be the least reliable part of the drawing. After all, in the drawing, the front hole is only half as far from the top roll of the fender than the rear hole is. We know that dimension is the same, both front and rear, on all fenders.

Anyway, you can move the line up and down any amount you want and as long as you keep it parallel to the holes (or the any pair of symetrical points on the roll of the fender) it is still going to be horizontal. Likewise, you can move the line in the parts diagram up or down and it is never going to end up at the angle of the upper tape in my picture.

But is it all open to whatever interpretation you want to apply. That is why I posted my picture with description but no interpretation or commentary. The picture spoke for itself.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:33 pm

IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:46 pm

Your black line on the drawing makes it pretty obvious. It is almost exactly half way up the front edge of the fender and is overlapping the attachment bolt area of the fender. The line drawn on your fender is only about a third of the way up the front edge but is way above the attachemnt bolt area. Clearly, your fender has about twice as much front edge as the drawing.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 am

I know my fender does not look like the drawing in the book, but the drawing in the book is a cut fender, though it be a poor drawing as you have said.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:08 am

WOW....go to work for about a week and look what I come back too!! haha.

To me that fender looks to be factory made or custom made. It doesn't look like it would have been "Cut" from an original IH fender. One of you guys try drawing the "missing" portion of the fender in. From looking at Boss' pictures, it seems to me that the front half of the fender would be much longer than the rear half (bi-secting it at the attachment point).....proving that it was custom made and not "cut". Also, the fact that it was listed in the parts diagram tells me that IH had something to do with it.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 am

If Boss could take that fender and do some sketching with it using it as a trace pattern. I believe he could draw up the missing portion as the standard fender would have. Then do some measuring and compare with a regular standard fender. Just a thought.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:18 am

Looking at Jim's fenders set on an angle like the parts book makes Jim's look like it is straight up and down. The line David drew on the last pic also gives that impression. That is probably what the person drawing the one for the parts book had in mind. Based on Jim's picture, David's drawing and what the IH service manager told me today, my guess is any of the cut fenders were probably done after they left the factory.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”