Rebuilt fan is installed along with new belts and replacement of some of the "field engineered" parts the previous hack....I mean owner installed. Changed the oil, filter, coolant, and lubed everything (I think) and took it for a spin. Seems to work well AND no screeching! Starts much easier also, one pull on the starter and no choke! A small coolant leak I think is coming from the overflow tube at the top of the radiator. I noticed what appears to be a crack where the tube attaches at the fill neck, but I put in a little too much when I replaced it so I'm hoping that will stop once the level is down a bit. If not I guess I'll be doing some soldering in spring along with tackling that float/needle valve, but until then I'll just shut the gas off.
Thanks everyone for your help!!!!