This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub on propane

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tomjan357
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub on propane

Postby tomjan357 » Tue May 03, 2005 9:08 pm

Does anyone have a cub that has been converted to propane?
Fuel problems seem to be common. I have ben told that propane
will eliminate my fuel problems. No rust in gas tank, no stopped
fuel bowls or stuck floats. Clean burning and high octane. It sounds
too good to be true. What do you think.
If it ain't broke I didn't touch it

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Tue May 03, 2005 9:26 pm

I think if you make your fuel tank, filter's and lines and carb. like new it will work fine for less money. Water, rust, trash and 50 years, and folks beating on and taking carb's apart and over tighting screws is the cause of all the fuel trouble.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue May 03, 2005 10:10 pm

Jim is right, 50 years of neglect and abuse will cause fuel problems that can readily repaired. Just like guys rushing to convert the 6V system to 12V when the problem is actually bad wires. Cub is a low compression engine so you don't need a high octane fuel, it was designed to run on 80 octane gasoline. Propane has fewer BTUs than gasoline so power will go way down.

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Tue May 03, 2005 10:20 pm

I agree with keeping it a gas running cub. But propane is actually higher in octane than gas. Unfortunately I worked at a gas company few years back and remember the carburator to run propane was extremely expensive.
Remember what your fuel cap tells you BUY CLEAN FUEL AND KEEP IT CLEAN :D
Kevin's 49er

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue May 03, 2005 10:34 pm

I have the book on the 60 cu inch power unit. There is an option to run it on propane but you loose horse power.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Gene Chestnutt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Propane HP

Postby Gene Chestnutt » Tue May 03, 2005 10:58 pm

I have ran a JD 70LP tractor for the past 5 seasons. The JD manual list it at a little more horsepower than the gasoline model. Something like 52HP on the factory propane and 48 on the gasoline.
Gene Chestnutt

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue May 03, 2005 11:08 pm

A propane engine may make more power if the compression is raised enough to make use of the higher octane. If all else is kept the same, higher octane rating will only change the power output if it eliminates detonation.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed May 04, 2005 9:12 am

A couple of my engines have been run on Natural gas. I bought them from a guy who had used converted 50-T balers to pump oil wells. When everything was going well, he would bring a hose from the well head and introduce it to the intake. Then he would shut off the fuel and they would keep running on gas that would have otherwise been wasted.

I understand that he has now bought a compressor so he can run his dual fuel car on gasolene and LNG.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Wed May 04, 2005 3:16 pm

Yep, I remember reading that if you wanted REAL power out of your old gasoline 4-cylinder Farmall, install a propane head. That'll jack up the compression pretty high.

Perhaps just installing the domed aluminum pistons, and shaving the head a little would be enough? Dunno.

All I know is that it's not as simple as running a hose from the grill tank to the air intake if you want the tractor to be functional.

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Wed May 04, 2005 3:26 pm

Matt Kirsch wrote:Yep, I remember reading that if you wanted REAL power out of your old gasoline 4-cylinder Farmall, install a propane head. That'll jack up the compression pretty high.

Perhaps just installing the domed aluminum pistons, and shaving the head a little would be enough? Dunno.

All I know is that it's not as simple as running a hose from the grill tank to the air intake if you want the tractor to be functional.

Matt,

You'd have a difficult time convincing Bill that his C-60 engines weren't functional... especially considering that they were doing their job without any fuel cost whatsoever!.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Wed May 04, 2005 6:30 pm

Yep, I remember reading that if you wanted REAL power out of your old gasoline 4-cylinder Farmall, install a propane head. That'll jack up the compression pretty high.

Matt-I have a living example of what you just mentioned. Believe me when I say that seriously uping the compression can spell trouble. Good trouble but trouble non-the-less. If you've followed any of my previous posts early this year you'll know what I mean. Everything has a trade off or a price to pay. Unless you want to tinker a lot I wouldn't go there.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu May 05, 2005 10:23 am

George Willer wrote:You'd have a difficult time convincing Bill that his C-60 engines weren't functional... especially considering that they were doing their job without any fuel cost whatsoever!.

Yeah, but I'm betting that running the balerpumps only required a fraction of the horsepower the engine produces on gasoline. This was fine because the engine only produces a fraction of the horsepower on propane unless you seriously jack up the compression.

Try running a mower deck on propane without modifying the engine internals... Try plowing... That's what I mean. The tractor would be a museum piece, something to drive in parades. In other words, not a functional tractor.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu May 05, 2005 6:48 pm

The thing aobut running the pump engines with natural gas was they ran at the same speed all the time. Without a need for speed changes and power at different rpms, controlling the fuel flow with a simple valve would be easy.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”