This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

UPDATE wear sleeve installer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

UPDATE wear sleeve installer

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Please see my update a few post down for instructions on how to make a wear sleeve installer out of a PVC fitting. Hope this will help someone out!!!

Ok folks, getting ready to get started on the cub resto again after the holidays. Machine shop is done with the block so I am going back together with it soon. My question is do I use sealant on the gaskets or not, if so which ones. Also, do u have to have an install tool to put the wear sleeve on the crank pulley or can I freeze the pulley and warm up the sleeve in boiling water and assemble? Thanks
Last edited by Jdbfish on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Gasket sealer and wear sleeve installer?

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Earl was making them , High tack on the head gasket, Indian Head on the head bolt threads and the manifold gasket, water out lets.I use grease on most of the other gaskets I do use black silicone at the corners of the seal retainer and front cover.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:13 pm

All the sleeves I've installed had a tool to get them on.
Boss has you covered on the other questions!

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:57 pm

Got the sleeve and seal from TM tractor parts. No install tool was ncluded.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:31 pm

I never got a tool with a sleeve. I borrowed mine from another Cubber.

Sealers are a matter of opinion! Mine is copper coat spray on the head gasket. Rectorseal #5 ( PTFE paste) on the head bolts, and Ultra Gray Permatex on other places prone to leaking. Use gloves and squish the ultra gray on both sides of a gasket into the THIN film and that joint will never leak.

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I put a sleeve on one cub I had. I just heated the sleeve in the oven for half an hour or so. Shot some pb blaster on the crankshaft and quickly installed it.I think I used a brass blunt punch and a hammer with a plastic head and GENTLY assisted it. Never had any problems with it.

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 pm

OK folks, I got the wear sleeve installed using a modified 1 1/2 inch pvc coupler as follows:
1. Saw coupler lengthwise in 2 places removing a section of approximately 1/3 the total circumference leaving 2/3 in tact. You will see a step molded into the ID in the center of the coupler
2. Saw coupler length about 1/4 inch past molded step
3. Spread coupler to slide 1/4 inch end over wear sleeve and molded step against edge of wear sleeve
4. Use a hose clamp to tighten around fitting, located aproximitaly where molded step is, to keep it from spreading
5. Use a 2x4 block on top of the fitting and drive the sleeve onto the pulley, remove hose clamp and PVC fitting and you are done! Works like a charm
Last edited by Jdbfish on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: UPDATE wear sleeve installer

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am

Looks like you came p with a good solution. I was just looking at the NAPA website, and it looks as if their Speedi Sleeves all come with an installer. The last time I needed one I just went to the local Carquest (Similar to NAPA) and gave them the number for my old seal, and they gave me a sleeve with tool and the new size seal. Last time I ordered the crankshaft seal from IH it came with sleeve and tool also, but that has been several years ago.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Use a 1-1/2" PVC coupler fitting as shown:

Saw the coupler fitting lengthwise in 2 places removing a section approximately 1/4 to 2/3rds of the total circumference. This will reveal a molded step in the ID (which I marked in black for clarity) as shown:

Then saw the coupler fitting's overall length to approximately 1-1/2" - 1-3/4" as shown:

Slide the short end of the coupler fitting over the wear sleeve until the step hits the edge of the wear sleeve as shown:

Tighten a hose clamp around the modified coupler fitting to keep it from spreading open or moving around. Then use a wood block on top of the coupler fitting and hammer it onto the crank pulley as shown:

All done!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:31 pm

John:

Nicely done How To :D When Bill puts it in the How To Forum, I'll add it to the CBoK.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:07 pm

I was waiting for the first photo to show up. It has been copied into the Engine/Trans how to forum and locked. I was going to put it under specialty tools but since it actually applies to the repair the engine forum seemed like the place it would be seen most.

Thanks for a great how to! The how to forum just keeps growing all the time. All the better to help others solve their problems in a better way.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

30islander
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44839

Postby 30islander » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Just installed wear sleeve using the technique above. Worked like a charm, ingeniously simple!

Return to “Farmall Cub”