This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Accidental lesson about finals and brakes

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck
Circle of Safety: Y

Accidental lesson about finals and brakes

Postby clodhopper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Good day all. Thought I would pass this along as a learning experience. I have been replacing my transmission case along with the final castings. Thanks to Boss for the parts. I have the transmission bolted up, and have the left side final redone. I also relined the brakes. I began to bolt up the left side final, and the brake pivot pin would not let the final seat up against the trans case. The shoulder on the pivot pin was sticking out about 1/8 to a 1/4 too far. So i began investigating the problem. I have a 1950 (pre toggle style brakes), but the left side final (unknown to me) had been replaced at some point with a toggle style brake final. APPARENTLY THE TOGGLE STYLE FINAL COULD BE USED WITH THE NON TOGGLE STYLE BRAKES! It was in my case anyway. I assume the pivot pin is from the toggle style brakes, and is possibly too long and must be ground off to fit. Is that assumption correct? I know the pin is seated in the final pivot hole.
Last edited by clodhopper on Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Re: Accidental lesson about finals and brakes

Postby clodhopper » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Looking at the photo, I know these are two different parts, but is the spacer shown on the pin, or does the pin have a shoulder made on it?Thanks to Rudis Manual Site for the file! TOP LEFT PICTURE
brakes.jpg

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:18 pm

I've got one of those toggle/nontoggle brake setups on one of my Cubs.
I don't know about the finals being different. It does look like there is an increment in the "R" number so something changed.

Part #7, the spacer, is only for Cubs with serial number 18558 and BELOW. Probably not needed for yours just the shouldered pin.

I don't remember from mine but looking at the parts diagram the toggle pin doesn't have a shoulder, Somebody didn't stick in a shouldered pin on the toggle did they?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 pm

I ran into that several years ago, but it was non toggle style brakes and housings. I had assumed that it was just a batch of incorrectly made pins, and cut the excess off.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Postby clodhopper » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:10 am

Thats exactly what I did and it seems to be the fix.

Return to “Farmall Cub”