This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Thinking of selling and have a few questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
code54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 25526
Tractors Owned: Kubota MX5100
1968 Cub Lowboy
Circle of Safety: Y

Thinking of selling and have a few questions

Postby code54 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:35 pm

While I love my little Cub I am really thinking of selling it. :( I don't have time to finish it and it is taking up valuable space in my shop. What I am trying to figure out is what is it worth if I do sell it. Im in WV if that matters....

Right now it is not running, not as in broken but as in not fully restored. It is a 68 Cub lowboy with the square hood (I think). The entire engine was professionally rebuilt and has not even been started it (new pistons, rings, bored, gaskets,etc...), the carb was sent out and professionally rebuilt, the body metal is in pretty good shape and has been sandblasted and primed with some body work started. Has a brand new Radiator (the Irish one that also never installed), new steering wheel, ALL brand new tires, all brand new new clutch and throw out bearing, TONS of new gaskets and bearing (almost all have been replaced as things were taken apart to be sandblasted and cleaned), new exhaust pipe and muffler, new metal throttle, new brakes (needs adjusted as they are VERY tight right now), bunch of extra parts. The whole final drives, trans, housings, wheels (rims), steering box, arms, front tubes, floorboards, etc all have been taken apart then sandblasted, primed and painted (Farmall Red). The hydro unit needs cleaned and rebuilt but I have the kit to do that already. I have a Gallon of paint that I would include with the purchase so matching it wont be an issue but guess that does not add any value. It also has a belly mower that goes with it that is SOLID but needs sandblasted and repainted to match. I also have a set of front wheel weights that are included. I was building it for us, not to sell or anything, just something to cut grass with and ride around on so there is a TON of new parts. I really like it but have not had anytime to work on it in the last year (as you can see by the dust on it) and know it is not likely for me to have the time to finish it. I have two Kubota's so I don't need it for working so I am thinking really hard about selling it and just dont know what to ask. I know I am not going to get what have in it (best guess 5K) but dont know what to even ask if I do sell it so any real value judgements you can give would be great!
Oh, I do have some parts so of sat on the tractor in the photos so I do know they dont go there but in some case they keep dirt out of places I didnt want it to go :D
Thank you
Attachments
IMG_0569.jpg
IMG_0570.jpg
IMG_0567.jpg
IMG_0566.jpg
IMG_0565.jpg
IMG_0564.jpg
1968 Cub Low Boy
Kubota MX5100

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Re: Thinking of selling and have a few questions

Postby Chris D » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:46 pm

With the amount of money spent on the tractor now, your best bet is to re assemble the tractor to running/ cutting condition to get a decent price for it. If not you could possible take a loss of half of what's invested. Even after it's back together you will still take a loss. But the hit won't be so hard. These things fixed up are more less done as a hobby and not to make money. Just my .02 cents

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:01 pm

Agree With Chris D. Depending on financial situation, suggest keeping the tractor as a lawn mower, hobby tractor.

I think you will be hard pressed to get much over your cost of engine repair for the tractor.
I have an excuse. CRS.

code54
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 25526
Tractors Owned: Kubota MX5100
1968 Cub Lowboy

Postby code54 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:38 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it!
I am fortunate that I don't need to sell it and my wife is great and don't care if I spend some $ to fix it up more. I really do like it but just don't have much time anymore with the kids and work. I may keep it and just finish it over the next year or two and cruise it in parades or the local tractor events but just am not too sure yet......
1968 Cub Low Boy
Kubota MX5100

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:21 am

I agree with what everyone has suggested and your last post would be the best way to sell it, especially if you show the tractor in parades with a for sale sign on it.

Food for thought…. The Cub I have was restored when my sons were growing up and they will never forget the experience we shared together during that part of our life. When they return home it’s always asked why don’t we start the Cub tomorrow and go for a ride?

You have a nice tractor….I sure would like to own it !!

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:39 am

Your probably better off keeping it. I Amin the process of restoring one now.it is a 4H project soi gotsoeeopeto donate one parts (at cost) the donatio ns,I already have $2000 or so invested out of pocket and I haven't even start reassembling. Still needs tires and several other arts. My point is, you would take a huge financial loss if you sell. With tat being said, if you decide to sell it, you would get the best money out of it selling itto someone on this forum who understands and appreciate the time and money you have invested. You will still take a big loss but at least it would go to someone who would take good care of it for a good price that would help both of you out. Good luck with your decision!!!!

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:59 am

I agree. Keep it unless you're willing to sell it at a MAJOR loss.

When you try to sell a "project" like that, buyers are going to assume there's a major problem with the tractor that halted work, no matter what the truth is.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Personally, I would keep it, finish it up as the others said. But, I would still keep it because long after those very expensive Kubota's are gone to the boneyard or rust-heaven you will still have the Cub :!: It was only designed for a life span of 7 years and they are still here 60 years later. Not many Kubota's can make that claim. Well Gary's can, but it really isn't a Kubota in a real sense but more of a Cubota :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

sgtbull
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62854
Tractors Owned: '36 JD B,
'40 and '46 Farmall H,
'50 Ford 8n '55 Farmall Cub,
'55 JD 70 allfuel,
lots of other toys

Postby sgtbull » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:57 pm

Keep it. The kids will be big before you know it, and you'll either be working on it with them, or working on it AFTER them. Either way, if you are even remotely interested in cubs, you're already way ahead of the game by keeping one that has most of the expenses already done. You'll have seller's remorse big time, unless you've completely lost interest in that tractor and tractors in general.
I've never met a tractor I didn't like....but I have found some that were greatly annoying....

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:49 am

I had 1956 Cub, I sold it because I was not useing it at the time, and it was just sitting around, The cub was in good shape ran great,needed nothing but someone to use it. a gentleman from Michigan bought it,
from this forum. after it was sold and gone, I regreted it, so I bought another cub it is a 55,
so I would think long and hard on selling it if you enjoy cubs
thanks Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 am

Keep it. I sold one of my restored ones. took a big hit in selling it. Wish i had it back everyday. But i was in a pinch at the time and had to sell it. Now all is well, and the buyer is unwilling to sell back to me. :(

panda
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49910

Postby panda » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

I would keep it. I sold a MH22 I had for years because I no longer had a use for it and have regretted it ever sense. I'd give twice the money to "get her back". :(

Return to “Farmall Cub”