This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

my cub started in 3 degree weather!!!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

my cub started in 3 degree weather!!!

Postby ad356 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:15 pm

we had a good 5" of snow. i didnt know if it was going to start, it was miserably cold. it started after a few tries, if these tractors will start in there conditions they will start in any conditions. my advice to anyone with a cub that has the 6volt electrical system, plug the battery into a 6 volt battery charger before attempting to start. i have been doing this in the real cold weather and i think it helps greatly. i have a good battery, but i think that in these extreme conditions these tractors need all of the help they can get with cranking effort. i'm beginning to understand the merits of a 12 volt system and i know why IH moved these tractors to 12 volt in later model years. my tractor is a 1948 i believe.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: my cub started in 3 degree weather!!!

Postby Lurker Carl » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:29 pm

A yank or two with a hand crank will get a Cub started if you think the battery isn't up to the task.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:46 pm

It is my belief, no evidence to support it, that IH switched to 12 volt when their contract with Delco for 6 volt components ended. Almost everyone else using Delco had gone to 12 volts nine years earlier. My guess is that as soon as the existing contracts for 6 volt components ended, Delco shut down that product line and devoted the equipment and plant space to 12 volt components. In other words, IH had no choice but to use 12 volts.
I think the same thing happened when IH went to alternators.
Luck favors those who are prepared

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:03 pm

Bus Driver if that be the case good for them. I seldom hear complaints about Alternators these days as I remember hearing about Generators when I was younger. Of course the ability to use smaller gauge battery wires and then less copper was a manufacturing bonus too. Yes the original alternators and the inability to handle heat were a problem at first but that is all behind us now. Could an electronic regulator be made, of course it could but would it be financially profitable? I believe not for you still have the problem of brushes that alternators eliminate. When My electricity goes out from storms, snow or ice I resort to my "GENERATOR". Guess what it is really an alternator miss named. Except to keep original for restorations I see no rational reason not to not convert to an alternator. With 12 volt 1 wire alternators relatively inexpensive and the ability of 6 volt starters to work on 12 volts I see no reason not to convert except for restoration purposes.
I'll probably get raked over the coals but that is my humble opinion.
Hey if you have 6 volt with a generator and regulator and it still works well keep it, That works well too.
'
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Bus Driver wrote:It is my belief, no evidence to support it, that IH switched to 12 volt when their contract with Delco for 6 volt components ended. Almost everyone else using Delco had gone to 12 volts nine years earlier. My guess is that as soon as the existing contracts for 6 volt components ended, Delco shut down that product line and devoted the equipment and plant space to 12 volt components. In other words, IH had no choice but to use 12 volts.
I think the same thing happened when IH went to alternators.

I agree. They may not have literally been forced to change, but certainly changing cost less than continuing with 6-volt systems. Same deal with the Cub alternators. The 5,500 or so long stripe Cubs used something like 3 different alternators. There certainly was no compelling reason from the tractor design for making the changes. They just used what Delco was supplying for the least cost.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:57 pm

I've got a 6 volt system on my cub and my John Deere B and never had an issue. If everything is in good shape with the 6 volt system, there's no reason to go to 12 volt system, in my opinion. Even in the coldest weather.
Last edited by ricky racer on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Amazing that they hung with the 6V as long as they did - maybe just took that many years to run out the old 6V components.
12V is smaller, lighter, and more common. Not sure what they did to change the original genny over on the '63, but it's still working coming up on its 50th birthday..

I was just at Rural King - 6V battery - $45 - only would work on the tractor. 12V Group 75 battery - fits every car I own - $50....Exide with a 5 year warranty. No reason to cling to the 6V other than to be period correct.

And to start in 3F with 6V using the starter - WELL DONE!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:33 pm

3 degrees is -16C. Ellie regularly starts usually on the first crank of the starter in even colder weather. I do put her on a battery maintainer. Not because I need to but because it just makes good sense.

Temperature and voltage of an electric system is not as related as folks think. Starting amps and temp is related though. For Cold Cranking the CCA number must be much higher. If you use a battery maintainer then the CCA number need not be as high.

I grew up in Northern Ontario with temps down to -60F in the late 50's, 60's and early 70's. Lived in Inuvik for 3 years in the late 70's with temps down to -60F. Spent 2 tours in Alert -- look up Alert on a map sometimes -- -60 with windchills much colder. Vehicles that were kept sheltered didn't need special treatment. Equipment kept outdoors better have had a minder on them or had block and battery heaters, circulation heaters and high CCA batteries. Sometimes they would still need to be warmed up under a tarp with torpedo heaters. Lived in Dieppe 26 years now, winter temps average for weeks in the -30's c and Ellie starts whenever I ask her to pretty much. Only time she doesn't is when she was left outside for extended periods.

If you Cub is sheltered, you electrical system is in top shape - meaning all connections clean and bright, no cracks in the insulation etc., and the battery fully charged it shouldn't matter what voltage you have period.

12v or 6v - same diff - both need the proper battery for the conditions, shelter and a maintainer to keep them up to snuff. Unlike cars and trucks our Cubs don't usually run long enough to fully charge the battery when the lights are being used or even if you are just plowing the driveway.

Yust me dos centavos worth :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Gary Orr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44483

Postby Gary Orr » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:17 am

All of mine are 6 volt & start in -20F I see no reason to convert. :D

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:19 pm

Gary Orr wrote:All of mine are 6 volt & start in -20F I see no reason to convert. :D
I do not know if mine will start at -20F or not, and I have no intention of finding out. If it gets that cold i ain't going to drive a tractor. :wink:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Gary Orr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44483

Postby Gary Orr » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:04 am

I'm with you John I didn't drive them. I just wanted to see if they would start. Bingo they did.

Return to “Farmall Cub”