Numbered Cub

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:26 pm

I hate to demonstrate my ignorance, but what does the term "numbered Cub" mean? I have seen reference to it on several posts. Thanks.

Re: Numbered Cub

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:30 pm

thiggy wrote:I hate to demonstrate my ignorance, but what does the term "numbered Cub" mean? I have seen reference to it on several posts. Thanks.

Those are Cubs whose days are numbered and are destined to be parted out.

No, I'm only kidding, it refers to the Lo-Boys such as the 154, 185 etc.

Re: Numbered Cub

Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 pm

These "no good for nuthin but grass cuttin machines".....as what I call em. A 184 I reconditioned a few years ago is pictured.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Numbered Cub

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:17 am

Thanks for the clarification, folks.

Re: Numbered Cub

Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 am

AL Farmall Boy wrote:These "no good for nuthin but grass cuttin machines".....as what I call em. A 184 I reconditioned a few years ago is pictured.


Cadets, on steroids, I call them. I hope the 184 can plow snow. I'm planning that job, for mine, some day. Ed

Re: Numbered Cub

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00 pm

I read the forum every day without fail, as it is a great learning tool. :mrgreen: Also some of the very witty replys give me a chuckle, especially from that Barnyard guy :{_}: Nothing to beat a bit of humour or a wee laugh now and again it lifts the spirit :-:-):
Bernard,
Donegal Cub :D

Re: Numbered Cub

Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:48 pm

Cadet on steroids is a good answer! The one good thing about them is they have a higher HP Cub engine (not sure all of them do).

Image

A Lo Boy is just a Cub with the finals tweaked forward and short front spindles....... despite what some people think, they are harder to get on and off than a Cub. And smaller than a flag!
Image

Re: Numbered Cub

Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:04 am

The little clutch with its sloppy fittin splines should be insentive enough NOT to abuse them!---try to plow snow/till/plow/etc! ---they only mow! thanks; sonny

Re: Numbered Cub

Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:18 am

They do have a few interesting features that the Cub does not:

1. Live PTO. This is achieved by using pulleys located between the flywheel and clutch to belt-drive a jackshaft to the PTO in back. When the belts go, the tractor needs to be split to replace them.
2. Available creeper gear. This allows the tractor to operate a snowblower or rototiller where an offset Cub cannot.

They have starter-generators like Cub Cadets too. The generator is also the starter.

Not I said "interesting features" not "improvements." While they're interesting features, they are also those so-called "weak points" that people always ask about when looking at tractors.

Re: Numbered Cub

Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 pm

ScottyD'sdad wrote:
AL Farmall Boy wrote:These "no good for nuthin but grass cuttin machines".....as what I call em. A 184 I reconditioned a few years ago is pictured.


Cadets, on steroids, I call them. I hope the 184 can plow snow. I'm planning that job, for mine, some day. Ed



YEP! I've called them that too.