This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Not Charging.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53029

Not Charging.....

Postby vwfish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:58 am

Ok guys, next problem.

The charging gauge shows a negative number and the battery doesn't appear to be charging.
I haven't gone through the wiring connections to see what the previous hack....I mean, owner rigged.
Just wondering if there is a "typical thing" that causes this issue.
It's a '47 with a rebuilt generator (supposedly), so it's 6V with a positive ground which is kind of odd for me.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Not Charging.....

Postby ntrenn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 am

Any where there is a wire connection, starting with the Field and Armature connections on the genny and work back toward the battery.
Get out your wire brush and wire brush every bolt/screw connection.
Then, if still not charging, I took the cover off the regulator and manually moved the contact levers while running and all was back to normal.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:37 am

See if this link helps
Tim
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72652

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am

If there is a "typical thing" that goes wrong in a charging system, it is a lack of good ground connections. For a cut-out system (what your tractor had originally) to work, you need to have good grounds not only for the battery and generator but also the CUT-OUT and the HEADLIGHT SWITCH.

Don't take the cover off the cut-out (or regulator) until you have eliminatad all other possibilities. More regulators have been ruined by taking the cover off than have been fixed by taking the cover off.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm

6V positive ground was the standard in the 1940's and well into the 1950's. That's for tractors, cars, trucks, everything... 12V negative ground is something fairly new.

A quick test to see if the generator is okay: Connect the F terminal on the generator to the tractor's frame. If the generator starts charging there is something wrong with the cutout/regulator or the wiring or the ground.

I have a test lead with alligator clips on both ends for this kind of troubleshooting, though last week I used a piece of smooth fence wire to perform the test on my Dad's tractor.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:35 pm

GM vehicles have been negative ground as far back as my knowledge goes. I learned a lot about driving in a 1933 Chevrolet with most of the body removed. Had never driven on paved road until I was taking the driver license road test on my 16th birthday- passed. Never have seen a Chevrolet with positive ground.
Luck favors those who are prepared

vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby vwfish » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 pm

I should have known.
I also have two 60's era VW Buses and whenever there is an electrical problem it's almost always a ground connection.
I will have to run the connections this weekend, assuming it's warm enough to do so.
Spring can't come soon enough this year.

Thanks

vwfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby vwfish » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:47 pm

So while I had the hydraulic cylinder out (see other post) I decided to debug the wiring.
Between two different diagrams I found on the site I was able to figure out the issue.
1. The PO had the light/charging switch wired incorrectly
2. The generator needed to be polarized

Charges nicely now!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Nice to hear that the gremlin was found and fixed :D Sometimes it really is the simple stuff :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”