This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Camshaft Thrust Plate, 1972 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Camshaft Thrust Plate, 1972 Cub

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm

Suppose that the cam journal experiences side wear also? That increases the clearance. A thrust plate could be made on a vertical milling machine or a lathe with the center section round and the same nominal diameter as the cam journal and the mounting ears cut down thinner so as to leave the center portion raised slightly to decrease the clearance.
Luck favors those who are prepared

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm

ndtheriot3030 wrote:Thanks, Eugene. Yea, most of the used ones that have pictures of show considerable wear. Honestly, mine doesn't appear to have as much wear as most of the used ones I'm finding for sale.
I'm going to take a close look at reversing mine and I'm also seriously considering having a machine shop build me a new one to tolerance. I think that is fairly important to fit to recommended tolerance otherwise the camshaft could have a tendency to move back & forth and wear the journals and the bearings.

I think this should be called a "wear" plate instead of a thrust plate. The 1st journal of the Camshaft definately rubs against it and it obviously wears.

Take care,

The Riot

The cam does not have bearings. The only concern would be the oil pump in my opinion. Flip it over, should be fine.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:55 pm

On second thought, I am not sure you can flip it over , I think the holes may be offset
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77441
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub - Big Red
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:55 am

I'm Traveling on a business trip, but as soon as I get back to my shop I'm going to get the "flip-job" a try and let everybody know.

thanks

The Riot

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:15 pm

OK, I'm finally back on the Camshaft and Thrust Plate issue. I've decided since I can't find a new Thrust Plate and that the bearing journal is probably the piece that is worn, I am having a machine shop build a new TP for me. Since it appears that the journal is worn we will have a raised area on the TP to compensate and bring the tolerance back to .003 to .012 as per Cub Manual Spec. The raised area will be no larger in O.D. than the O.D. of the Journal. It's at the M. Shop now and I will let you know how it works out.

The Riot
10+ Years
10+ Years
1972 Cub - Gramps

Postby The Riot » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:47 pm

I have finally come up with what we think is a good solution on this Camshaft Wear Plate issue. After careful consideration by a reputable machine shop we decided to put in a Stainless Steel Spacer Washer to compensate for the wear and being over tolerance.

I am in the engine re-assembly process right now and will report back on the engine performance once I get it up and running.

thanks for all of the suggestions.

Neil

Return to “Farmall Cub”