I'm making progress on ol' Smokey. I figured since I had everything torn down I might as well see why the oil pressure was not as good as it should be. I dropped the oil pan and plastigauged the rod and the main bearings to find out the mains were at .006" clearance, .003" over the max and the rods were at .003". I mic'ed the rod journals and they measured about .0015" undersize, do they make a .001" oversize rod bearing anymore? So I went ahead and ordered new std. bearings and rings and gaskets. By the way NAPA seems to have the best price for gaskets (Fel-Pro). Someone had been in there before me as the rod bearings had been replaced, the mains appear to be original, everything was standard size. I had once thought the engine was never torn down, HA!, what was I thinking! The inside of the crankcase was pretty clean and the intake and exhaust valves were pristine. The only carbon build up was in the combustion chambers themselves but not too bad at all. While I was there I found another surprise or two, like John says, I really hate surprises!
I decided since the braze job is still good I'm going to leave well enough alone.
It's starting to go back together, it's been quite the process since originally only wanting to replace the radiator a while back. So to recap, a new radiator, a replacement lower housing and gasket, a new front main seal with a speedy sleeve, new rings and checked the end gap in the cylinders and checked the clearance between the rings and the piston, new rod bearings (still at .003") and main bearings (std, now at .003"), gasket head set, push rod cover gasket, oil pan gasket, new steering shaft seal and gasket, new hoses, repaired the arm on the choke linkage, repaired the govenor shaft, cleaned up the head, and some paint. I figure it should be running and back to work in another day or so and ready for plowing, just don't know if it'll be the driveway or the garden!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.