This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

C60's lugging ability

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

C60's lugging ability

Postby ad356 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:40 am

i love the way these little engines can lug. i typically push snow at 1/2 throttle or sometimes even less. the governor keeps the RPM right where you set it at. even at 1/2 throttle it has no problem pushing a good sized pile. i have realized that is the HUGE difference between these 4 cylinder engines and smaller single cylinder engines. while a kohler k301 might be rated at 12 hp it cannot lug like a C60, nowhere near it; and today's stuff is over-rated much worse then a K301. if you would use the same methods used today i think the C60 would be more like 30-35 hp. these engines lug like a bigger tractor can lug, nice isnt it? i dont see how i will have a problem with the 60" belly mower if the grass is dry, the blades are sharp, and the mower is adjusted properly.

not to mention these tractors when ran at 1/2 throttle and allowing the governor to do its job, then they are very fuel efficient. seems to burn less gas then a good sized snowblower. cubs are fuel efficient. seems like all of this so called superior technology is just a bunch of crap. here we have a 60 year old flathead 4 cylinder and it gets great fuel economy.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: C60's lugging ability

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:58 am

I agree on your evaluation of what a cub can do, however you need to remember that when pushing snow, you are not near the maximum load of a cub. However, when you put the C60 mower on it, even if the blades are sharp, and the mower adjusted with the front 1/4 to 1/2 inch low as it should be, you are right at the limit of the cubs horsepower and torque, with practically no reserve left. If You keep up with the grass, so it does not get very tall, etc. it will do a good job. If you let the grass get to the point you are cutting thick grass and taking 8 inches to a foot off, you will have to make 2 passes at different heights, or make only a half width pass each time. By the way, I have been mowing, plowing, grading, pushing snow, etc. with cubs for nearly 30 years.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Agree with John's opinion on the Cub's ability to function as a mower tractor. Does a great job most of the time. But, I have a 48" flail mower, depending on variables the Cub's engine can not efficiently handle the work load.

Cub's C60 engine lugging ability versus the Kohler K301 engine; the C60 has about twice the foot pounds of torque of the K301.
I have an excuse. CRS.

ntrenn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47119
Skype Name: ntrenn
Tractors Owned: 63 Cub 221833 in family since '69
65 Lo-boy 19648 with an un-stuck #4 - it lives!!!
144 Cultivators with disc hillers
193 Plow
42C mower
59L mower mounted on the Fcub
23A Disc - lost possession

Postby ntrenn » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:15 pm

Yes, these engines do pull fairly nicely all the way down to near idle. Great to not have to run them at WOT to get work done.

On the mower side - just one year under my belt with a Woods 59, and the foregoing comments are quite accurate -
If you get behind, you'll be taking half swaths.
If your cub is down on power, you'll know it right away

It is pretty nice though to be able to mow 5 feet at a time.

As far as pulling the 59 vs a 42 - I'm not so sure the 59 actually pulls any harder than the 42, but you can't cut saplings with a 59....

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:32 pm

One thing to be careful with "lugging" is to not make the cub work too hard down at the low RPM's... George Willer had a thread a while back where he showed the results of lugging on the crank in one of his cubs... I tried searching for the pictures, but can't seem to find them.

Take smaller bites and don't bog the engine down too much for too long... JMO...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:07 pm

It can definitely be emphasized pushing snow no where near loads the engine as a 59 does. Although if power is not up to snuff it is not the end of the world as less than 60" can be cut per pass as previously mentioned.
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Return to “Farmall Cub”