This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

quick opinions wanted

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: quick opinions wanted

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:13 am

seeing that people ASK anywhere from $800 to $1,200 for stuck, parts Tractor Cubs around here; I'd say that it's a safe buy. Of course you need to check it out, and talk to the seller in person about the work done. Also, the fact he is delivering it to you might mean he is desperate to sell for whatever resaon, good or bad.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donegal Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Donegal Cub » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:31 am

The quickest opinion I can give you is. If it sounds too good to be true!! IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!!!. However You may have come across a seller thats needs cash fast. So go look drive and test. If its checks put it on your trailer. OLD SAYING "Never buy a pig in a poke" is also good advice.
Donegal Cub. :D

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:55 am

I agree with what Donegal Cub wrote;
OLD SAYING "Never buy a pig in a poke"

My Grandfather always said that…..he was from Ireland ….

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:31 am

Every Cub I have bought is a 'pig in a poke'. That pretty much goes with anything used, unless you know the history of it. Mostly I have made out very well. A running Cub that's got no obvious problems is a deal at a grand. I am afraid to total what my latest adventure has cost me..... but it's got good compression, now.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:49 am

I look at every cub as a parts tractor when considering a purchase, as far as value. Here is my equasion:

Asking price ($1000 for example sake) (Prices lower than actual value)

then start adding:

decent rear rims with decent rear tires and centers= $300
rear weights=$75
carburator=$100
drawbar with brackets=$100
finals with good bolt holes 2@$100=$200
PTO that feels good=$50
good hood=$125
front wheels=$50

equals $1000 buy it. everything else is gravy. Now when you get it home you can decide weather it will be a good worker or restoration candidate, but if too much is wrong with it, you still have your value in parts.

This is why I cringe when told a "parts cub" is only worth $500 or less, unless it is obviously mostly broken and worthless.

Just my $.02

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:24 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:Every Cub I have bought is a 'pig in a poke'. .

Ain't that the truth! Every old tractor I have ever bought has been a bag full of surprises! Even if it checks out good you can bet you'll find some issue when you get it home.

If it runs to your satisfaction, buy it. As Dale pointed out, you can make your money back selling parts if you're patient.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Former Member
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Former Member » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:58 am

Super A wrote:If it runs to your satisfaction, buy it. As Dale pointed out, you can make your money back selling parts if you're patient.

I did not intend for my post to sound as if I buy every cub to part it out. I generally DO NOT part them out if they are a good functioning cub. ONLY if the needed repairs I find would cost more than the value of the cub. My goal is to rescue them and put them back into the field. I just use my equation to determine value/cost when purchasing.

Dale

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:35 am

Dale Shaw wrote:
My goal is to rescue them and put them back into the field.

Me too, but my problem is after I put all the work in them and get them just like new I don’t want to use them …so, they just set in storage and get started and drove sometimes.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Yep, Super A... I am one with the 'mushroom theory'. But, of all the Cubs I have bought I only regret one, but it makes a nice stand to hold a hood till I am ready for it. It's one of the first yeller 12V ones, with a lot of good parts. I did knock one in the head, but used Dale's logic. It came with a 1000 loader :D and the rest of the parts are spread over creation. I did use a hub off it recently.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”