This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Great Video

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Michael Beck
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35466
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Great Video

Postby Michael Beck » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:24 pm

by RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:05 am

That's a 170 planter. See here: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... -20-52.htm
I would love to have the mounting frame from the planter in the video.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:26 am

RaymondDurban wrote:Steve, I was looking at the color of the rims pretty close as well. I've come to the conclusion that they aren't actually red, but what we are seeing is the reflection of the red paint from the weights and centers. The age of the camera being used doesn't help with the bleeding of colors. At one point in the video when the disc is being shown, there are a few angles that the edge of the discs look silver, then red as the reflection of the frame hits just right.
Not all the tractors in the video are the same tractor. Some have 15" fronts, some have 12". As to the reason why the 15's were abandoned for production, I can only assume the cost was a factor.

Raymond, I wonder though if some of the pre-production Cubs had red rims, i.e. reference pages 47, 50, 51 of the "Farmall Cub photo archive" by Letourneau.

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:31 am

Where can I find that book? I don't think I've ever seen it.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:48 am

I think someone posted a while back it is not published anymore, I did a search on Amazon, :shock: I bought a copy years ago, but surely these prices are not legit....

http://www.amazon.com/Farmall-Cub-Peter ... to+archive

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:37 am

RaymondDurban wrote:Steve, I was looking at the color of the rims pretty close as well. I've come to the conclusion that they aren't actually red, but what we are seeing is the reflection of the red paint from the weights and centers. The age of the camera being used doesn't help with the bleeding of colors. At one point in the video when the disc is being shown, there are a few angles that the edge of the discs look silver, then red as the reflection of the frame hits just right.
Not all the tractors in the video are the same tractor. Some have 15" fronts, some have 12". As to the reason why the 15's were abandoned for production, I can only assume the cost was a factor.

They're red. I have seen other pics of preproduction tractors during that timeframe and they had red rims as well.

Also the Farmington Implement Co. DVD's are excellent. The first one, DVD 1 has the film from 1953 called "INSIDE HARVESTER." There's some pretty good footage of the Louisville plant and Cubs on the assembly line in that one. And it's in color!!

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jack
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16353
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1955 International 300 Utility
2018 JD loader/ backhoe

Postby Jack » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:01 am

that was a great video, I think it should be placed on the manual section or somewhere it can be viewed anytime,on Farmall Cub, without looking for this post. I really enjoy the old time photos and videos
thanks Jack
Circle of Safety Pine Meadows Farm :tractor:

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:18 am

It looks like the Cub running some belt-driven tool has three wheel weights on each wheel.
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:23 am

cubguy47 wrote:Raymond, I wonder though if some of the pre-production Cubs had red rims, i.e. reference pages 47, 50, 51 of the "Farmall Cub photo archive" by Letourneau.

The pictures on pages 50 and 51 were obviously taken the same time and place as the film segment from about 4:10 to 4:20. It looks like they stopped the tractor about 6 feet past the location at the end of the segment and took some stills, including the one on page 50. The one on page 51 is the same place with the tractor coming the other way.

There are a lot of differences between some of the preproduction Cubs and the production version. The early ones were built during WWII and materials availability could have had some effect on what was built. If the standard rust treatments were in short supply, it may explain the painted rims (if that is red paint).

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:46 am

cubguy47 wrote:I think someone posted a while back it is not published anymore, I did a search on Amazon, :shock: I bought a copy years ago, but surely these prices are not legit....

http://www.amazon.com/Farmall-Cub-Peter ... to+archive

Brian:

Those prices are legit for used copies. The book isn't published anymore. I have been watching for one at a more affordable price and I finally got one on :eBay: for $35.00US IIRC. Took me a number of years to get one at an affordable price and I simply got lucky as no one else happened to be looking for it. I was the only bidder. Most of the prices I see for this particular book is well over $100.00US used even on eBay. I seriously doubt that anyone would get over $400.00 for a new one though. The prices on Amazon are high because the sellers know what it is worth and how rare they are compared to other models by the same author. The one I got appears new, not a ding on it.

There are currently none on :eBay: at this time but it would be worth using this search string....: Farmall Cub: Photo Archive by P. A. Letourneau, I am sure one will show up soon, they usually do.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 am

That is just too cool..... they managed to run that Cub well for no Touch Control.

Thanks Joe (and Batty)
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

redfin
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 70737

Postby redfin » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks Joe , I think that is the nicest cub video I have seen.. :D

oblakmd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby oblakmd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Hello all. I posted the video and I must say it is amazing. My 1947 cub is SN 1814 so it makes the video special to me. I have just uploaded a another video on farmall's cotton picker.

I love the forum and I am looking forward to talking to all this spring when I go over the cub to repair leaks etc AND to figure out the smoking thing. Until then enjoy the latest video. I will have more in the future.

Mitch

Return to “Farmall Cub”