This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mag oil seal n stall question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76502

Mag oil seal n stall question

Postby Jdbfish » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:36 pm

Ok, I messed up the new magneto drive oil seal trying to install it. I was using a PVC fitting and it bent the inside diameter in and squeezed to seal out of the metal on the seal. I cant find anything close to outside diameter to use as a driver.How do you install without damage ? Is there a tool or does someone have something they made? If so, I could sure use it. I will pay shipping both ways if someone has one they could lend. Thanks folks'...........

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Mag oil seal n stall question

Postby Bill Hudson » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Earl Fauble makes a slick installation tool just for that seal. Works like a charm. I suggest that you get one from him and then you have it on hand whenever the need arises, and trust me the need will arise. Send a PM to "Earl" and he can fix you up.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:52 pm

The following steps only work if you have wood working tools available...

1) Take a small piece of hardwood and plane it down to the correct thickness (23/32"), or as close as you can using a caliper to measure the board.
2) Then take a new seal and trace an outline of it on the board. Cut the outline out of the board on the inside of the line, so it's a bit smaller in diameter than the seal.
3)Cut out another circle, larger than the seal and stack it on the first circle you cut out. This will create a "lip" so that the seal isn't driven in too far. Drill a hole through both and bolt them together.
4) Now you have a driver that is the correct size as to equalize the contact points, and thickness so that the seal is set to the proper place.

I've made a few like this and they work great!

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:54 pm

Has there ever been a drawing posted on here for this tool? This could be a future lathe project for me, if my 3 jaw chuck is big enough.

Whoops, Raymond is faster than me. I still would like dims.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:01 pm

When I get to Fla, I'll get the dimensions and a few pics for everyone. It's real easy to make if you have the right tools. I used the lathe on mine to get it nice and perfect, but not in a chuck. I just squeezed the boards up between the tailstock and motor after the rough cut with a scroll saw. The lathe dimples in the wood created the center points for the drill press to create the holes necessary to bolt them together.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:19 pm

I just bought the tool :D I think I have all of Earls tool except the Mag tool [ cause I hate mags :lol: ]
He does great work and his tools will last a life time

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Thanks Raymond. Plan to be at DSCF around 3 PM Thurs the 14th. See you then.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 am

Thanks everyone. I do have some woodworking tools but not a planer or a lathe. If someone else has some more ideas please let me know. I sent Earl a pm, waiting on a response. I need to find a cubber close to me so we can share tools, deals, and help!!!!
Last edited by Jdbfish on Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Did you use a seal driver on your first attempt? If not, you can purchase a set of these at Harbor Freight, and they are not too expensive. They are not as specific to this particular task as Earl's tool, but they will work in a pinch. You just have to be careful that you drive the seal in far enough, but not too far. I used a seal driver and a digital micronometer to measure the depth. Not super easy, but it can be done. Good luck.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Jdbfish
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jdbfish » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Thanks Bill, may have to try that if I don't hear anything from Earl. Hopefully he will reply to my pm soon.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:02 pm

I have some of Earl's tools. They are simply great items. Added to what I have from Rick Prentice and a couple other members and I have some very slick/valuable tools for working on my Cubs. When I got some of them I figured they really would only be used once, maybe twice. Since then I have realized that some of them get more use than I imagined. I am really pleased that I have these special tools.

I am kinda kickin my tush though. As many know I am a Cabinet Maker by profession (being a soldier/sailor is my vocation), one would think that I would have put that skill to use. In my trade I made so many jigs and tools that I should have thought about it. I have lots of maple and eastern birch that would be perfect for these tools.

Either way,

RaymondDurban wrote:The following steps only work if you have wood working tools available...

1) Take a small piece of hardwood and plane it down to the correct thickness (23/32"), or as close as you can using a caliper to measure the board.
2) Then take a new seal and trace an outline of it on the board. Cut the outline out of the board on the inside of the line, so it's a bit smaller in diameter than the seal.
3)Cut out another circle, larger than the seal and stack it on the first circle you cut out. This will create a "lip" so that the seal isn't driven in too far. Drill a hole through both and bolt them together.
4) Now you have a driver that is the correct size as to equalize the contact points, and thickness so that the seal is set to the proper place.

I've made a few like this and they work great!

This is now the latest Cub Tip of the Week! February 04, 2013. Thanks Raymond :!: I really am kickin my tush :oops:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:34 pm

I was going to wait for the dimensions before posting this in the how to forum, but I figured I would forget, so I went ahead and made Raymond's tip a how to in the ignition section. Once we have the dimensions Raymond will update the thread.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Bill V in Md wrote:Did you use a seal driver on your first attempt? If not, you can purchase a set of these at Harbor Freight, and they are not too expensive.........
The handle of a seal driver set will not fit in the space and be able to get anything in their to drive it with, the oil filter housing is in the way. Also they will not work if the governor is still installed.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Another issue is that there are differences in thickness of the replacement seals. Earl's seal setter with the adaptor ring can set either thickness of seal.
These tools are a great value for the price.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby RaymondDurban » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:14 pm

Bigdog, I understand the different thicknesses of replacement seals, but is the lip not in the same place?

Return to “Farmall Cub”