This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New member, 47 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39565

Re: New member, 47 Cub

Postby 69DAM » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:39 pm

OK fellas, looks like {with everyone's help of course) i was able to get things lined up, installed the magneto, and got it really close. it wants to fire up, but i think i'm looking at a carb problem now. it was flooding really bad, so I'm going to order a rebuild kit and give it a good look. it's the original carb, so i know it needs it. Sure was nice to see it spark a little.
Attachments
photo (3).jpg

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 69DAM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:25 pm

OK fellas, got the tractor going pretty dang good. the problem turned out to be in the kill switch. i think the wires were reversed, but anyway it works when the wire is disconnected from the magneto kill connection. i thought i saw some talk on another post about 1 pole v/s 2 pole switches. what is the difference, battery start?
thanks again for all the assistance!! :mrgreen:
Attachments
Pop and Cub.jpg
My old man and the Cub

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby RaymondDurban » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 pm

Great to hear!
Yep, the difference is the two connection switch is used for battery ignition, and the single connection is for the magneto ignition. You can use the two position switch with one wire to the mag and one wire to ground, but the switch will have to be pushed in to run and pulled out to stop, opposite of the way it's supposed to be.
The one connection switch is grounded internally with the switch pushed in, stoping the engine.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm

You mentioned wires reversed on your kill switch. Normally a magneto only uses a single wire on the switch, with the switch grounding that wire through the switch body to kill the fire. Do you by chance have an external coil on the magneto? Did one of the wires on the switch go to a ground? As Raymond stated, you can use a 2 wire switch for a kill switch, but one side has to go to ground, and as Raymond stated, it will work backwards.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

69DAM
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 69DAM » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:56 pm

No sir, i don't have an external coil, just a regular magneto. I do have the battery start option. i thought the wires were reversed because i had to push the switch in to get her to fire....thought that was backwards, but come to find out it's supposed to be that way....

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. Glad you got the '49 going. 8) 8)

Return to “Farmall Cub”