This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub stalls if I increase the throttle

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub stalls if I increase the throttle

Postby ozimmerman » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:58 pm

My 49 starts fine at with throttle at about 1/3. If I increase the throttle, it stalls. However,even if I don't increase the throttle, there seems to be a narrow range in the choke adjustment to keep it running. Once it is going, it runs with the choke half open, but tends to shut off if I open or close the choke. I suspected a fuel flow issue, but when I detach the line from the carb, it flows well. Guessing the problem is in the carb, but I am looking for thoughts on this before I waste time in the wrong place.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Cub stalls if I increase the throttle

Postby cub47 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:09 pm

This is one symptom of carburetor main jet issues, remove the hex head on the side of your carburetor (assuming you have an IH 3/4" updraft carburetor), clean out the orifice with a very small copper wire (telephone core works well), blow out with compressed air and reinstall, good luck.

cub47
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cub47 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:19 pm

A video on you tube that shows the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96ufIsL7FOU

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:26 am

Then 1 trip across the yard you can do it over, and over! LOL!!--- the only way I could ever solve this problem, was to get rid of steel gas line from tank and go with super good grade of neoprene hose and a good grade of filter between tank and carb!---Wont fly with CP, but for yard use it works fine!---these little carbs will plug with a hair in the main jet,---they are micro holes! thanks; sonny

ozimmerman
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ozimmerman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am

I did put a piece of monofilament fishing line through the jet last week. I will try blowing air through it. Probably change the line, too. I think my tank might be the source of crud, but the sediment bowl filter should take care of that, shouldn't it?

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 am

Probably the main jet like Brian suggested, but also make sure the small screen isn't plugged located inside the carb inlet(you can see it once the fuel line is moved) see this TM link=http://www.tmtractor.com/new/fl/195fp.htm

Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:05 am

When you take the jet out you should have a good stream of gas coming out the carb.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:04 pm

Sonny, most folks recommend the original steel fuel line. Why do you say that the neoprene line is a better choice? Thanks, Stanley
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

thiggy wrote:Sonny, most folks recommend the original steel fuel line. Why do you say that the neoprene line is a better choice? Thanks, Stanley

He is putting an inline filter in it. If you have a dirty Tank and can not get it clean. An in line filter made for gravity flow is the way to go. Thus the rubber line. And you can put a shut off valve in it too :wink:
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Another option for supplemental fuel filtering from the "How To" forum. This method greatly diminishes detection by the CP if so desired...
. viewtopic.php?f=139&t=74909
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

Return to “Farmall Cub”