This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

White Foam

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
adamsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53805
Tractors Owned: 1963 Cub Low Boy (Hogan)

White Foam

Postby adamsch » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:58 pm

Hello all,

I have a question for you master mechanics out there! Tonight when I finished plowing snow I went to check my oil and I noticed a small amount of foam on the upper part of the oil dipstick on my 63 Cub LowBoy. The foam was only on the upper part of the dipstick and I did not notice any on the lower end. Under the cap there was also a little white foam. I am hoping that it is not a headgasket but I thought I would get some second opinions!! My antifreeze level has stayed fairly level. I do loose a little antifreeze every know and then because I have a couple small holes in my radiator cap and when it is cold I see a little steam come out of the holes. Any tips, pointers, or words of wisdon would be appreciated!!

Thanks....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: White Foam

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:04 pm

Condensation. Get the engine completely warm. Might have to cover part of the radiator. Let engine run, once warm, for 30 minutes. This will remove the moisture.
I have an excuse. CRS.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm

During the winter when I am plowing snow I usually cover the bottom half of the radiator with thin Styrofoam to keep the engine temperature up and prevent such as this. Also, most cubs do not use a pressurized cooling system, so a leaking cap should not be a problem. It normally runs about 1 to 1 1/2 inch below the neck. As long as the tubes are covered that is all you need. It will push coolant out if it is higher than the levels I mentioned.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Sounds like condensation in the crankcase. Plowing snow is not normally (in my experience) hard work for a Cub. Given you're working in cold weather and not working the engine hard, the engine does not get up to a real warm operating temperature, a temperature hot enough to drive off the moisture that has collected in the crankcase. After you shut down the engine, the engine cools and draws moisture laden air into the crankcase, through the breather which is perfectly normal. The next time you start the engine to plow snow you have more moisture in the crankcase than the last time you ran it. The cycle continues until:
the weather warms or,
you change oil or,
you get the engine hot enough to drive off the moisture through the breather (the same way the moisture got in).

The solution, for cold weather snow plowing, may be a small amount of covering over the radiator to increase engine operating temperature to effectively drive off the accumulated moisture.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Boy! You guys are quick!
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:29 am

I agree with the other fellows. The Cub has no thermostat, so there is nothing to encourage the engine to warm to proper operating temperature. It will be much better, for the engine, to run at a warmer temperature. When I plowed snow with my Cub, I used an old car floor mat and a couple bungee cords to cover the grill. If it was real cold, I covered the entire grill. Even then, it didn't run any too warm. The Kubota that I plow with now, has a thermostat, eliminating the need to cover the grill.

lazyuniondriver
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44134
Tractors Owned: 1949 & 1951 Farmall Cubs

Several Snapper Garden Tractors

Postby lazyuniondriver » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm not convinced that build up of cream you described hurts anything even though it shouldn't be there. Can anybody document damage caused by this besides the inconvenience of having to wipe it off the stick and the inside of the tube?
"HAVE ALL YOUR DELIVERIES MADE BY UNION DRIVERS"

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:08 pm

When the foam is on the bottom end of the dip stick that you are in trouble.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:20 am

Yup, condensation/moisture. The fellas have already given you some good advice, so I will just limit it to my usual schtick:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”