This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Transmission Input Shaft Bearins Seal and Retainer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
equeen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27292

Transmission Input Shaft Bearins Seal and Retainer

Postby equeen » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:22 pm

I have a parts manual on order and hope to see a good diagram there, but ants in my pants on this.

I've removed the transmission input shaft retainer, seal and front bearing from a junker Cub. Was simply breaking it down for parts, thus didn't pay absolute attention to the way I removed parts. I did NOT remove the bearing from the shaft.

Working on another Cub now with PTO problems (input shaft has shifted forward about 1 / 4 inch) and now I need to know how this should be put together, thus questions:

1. The exposed part of bearing faces outward from the transmission and the retaining ring goes in the groove here on the open-faced side of the bearing?
2. The 1 / 4 " protruding side of the seal retainer faces into the transmission and butts against the bearing?
3. The seal is pressed into the retainer and there is nothing to keep it from sliding out onto the non-splined portion of the shaft towards the clutch?

Some things just don't seem to make sense here. All help appreciated. :lost:

Gene

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Transmission Input Shaft Bearins Seal and Retainer

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:43 pm

G'day to you. Here is a link to the TC-37A (5-2-49) and the Chassis.

Does this help???

Suggest you follow the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of which is the Cub Manual Server. Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:44 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
1: yes
2: yes
3: yes again
If the seal is tight in the retainer, it won't slide out. The bolts will hold the retainer and the seal in place. The protrusion on the back side of the retainer will keep the shaft and bearing from sliding forward.

equeen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby equeen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:31 am

Thanks VERY much for the responses. Very helpful.

Now, just for understanding....
The "open-face" side of the input bearing faces out into the wall of the transmission.
The rectangular notch of the seal retainer is up and the 3 / 4 moon notch of the retainer is down (to allow fluid to drip from the seal back into the trans, I think I've read in some other posts).

So, how does fluid get to the bearings if bearing open face is into the wall butted against the seal retainer with seal?

Just curious. Obviously it does.

Thanks.

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:18 am

Look at the case casting for a pocket to collect splash and a drain hole to supply oil.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:44 am

If you just get a replacement seal it may be a loose fit in the retainer. Stake it in and use a sealer.I also use flat washers on the retainer they will overlap the seal.
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

equeen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby equeen » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:18 am

Excellent. Excellent. I'm learning.

"Stake" it in. I've read about staking. What is staking? How is it done?

Thanks again to all.

Gene

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:01 am

Use a prick punch or something similar to dent the metal in such a way to get the two parts to grip. You don't need much, just to keep the seal from spinning. The sealer will do the rest.

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:45 am

equeen wrote: . . . Now, just for understanding....
The "open-face" side of the input bearing faces out into the wall of the transmission . . .

I am confused. I have my 1948 Cub trans apart and the input shaft front bearing "open face" faces oil/gear side of the transmission. I have had the Cub since 1973. I don't believe the trans was ever apart. Was the bearing installed the wrong way at the factory?

I see the oil supply hole in the trough at the top of the bearing. The hole is at an angle so that the oil drips to the face of the bearing that is towards the wall of the trans case. This all makes sense to me, for the bearing to get lube, except that is not how it was assembled at the factory.

I also checked this forum link: http://savethecub.com/manuals/parts/cub ... ission.htm and it looks like the open face side faces the oil/gear side of the trans. The bearing is part # 11.

I am installing a new shaft and bearings. Any help would be appreciated.

John M.

BIGHOSS
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37087
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub S/N 9216
w/ C-22 Mower

1974 Cub S/N 244814
w/59 Woods Mower

Ford 3000 Gas S/N C375091 w/Bushhog QT2345 Loader & 6' Squealer Bushhog
and a Palomino Mare named GIGI

Postby BIGHOSS » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:38 am

The manual that you linked to is correct. First you install the bearing (#11) to the shaft until it bottoms out. Then the split ring (#12) is installed to secure the bearing to the shaft. BUT, this is where there is a problem if the seal assembly is installed backwards. The bearing race is roughly only half as thick as the trans wall. If the shaft/bearing assy is not locked in place, it can work it's way forward 3/8 to 1/2". After moving forward the pto and rear of shaft are too far apart to engage properly. So, the seal assy (#14) is installed with the emboss facing the rear to trap the shaft/bearing and prevent forward movement.
Think of the emboss on the seal assembly as a spacer to adjust for the difference in the trans wall and bearing dimension .
Hope this is clear.
"Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway".......John Wayne

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:13 am

John,

Along with BigHoss description, these photos should help with the proper orientation during reassembly.
Attachments
Input shaft Seal.jpg
photo 2a.JPG
photo 4a.JPG
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

JohnMihevic
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 44253
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub
C3 Mower
Hammond B3 for Rainy Days

Postby JohnMihevic » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for the quick reply fellas. From what you describe, my bearing was installed the right way. What bothers me is: whether the bearing will get enough lube oil with the "sealed/shielded" side of the bearing facing the 3 bolt shaft seal assembly. It looks to me like the oil drips down through the "trough oil hole" to that slot you show in the 2nd pic which is the "sealed/shielded" side of the bearing. I would think the oil should drip down the "balls" side of the bearing. Oh well, enough oil must get down around the shaft & bearing shield and work its way into the bearing "internals".

John M.

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi,
The oils seal retainer goes into the case with the bulged side facing into the transmission, like they said above, then the oil seal lip should be facing towards the trans also. The oil seal will not seal much if it is backwards.

I think they did not use bearings with the seal on one side of the bearing in 1948.
All of them I have seen had no seal, both sides of the bearing are open.
Someone probably replaced it before.

If you have a new ball bearing on the shaft that has the seal on one side of the bearing, the Case IH dealer where I buy things said that the seal should be on the trans gears side of the bearing, which would be to the rear, not facing the front. If it is on the front, no oil can get into the bearing from the oil trough, and oil hole. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”