This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cold weather battery

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Cold weather battery

Postby DickB » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:38 am

Last night at 18*F, it took a bunch of pulls on the starter handle to get the Cub going, even with an oil pan heater on. I expect the same today with still some 8 to 10" of snow on the ground. My battery is old, a NAPA one. 6 volt. Wondering about newer batteries (no water, gel filled, etc.), as well as preferred specs for the battery for cold weather starting. The old battery turns the sluggish oil, but just not speedily and I think spunk and power in a new battery might increase starting chances. Thanks for comments.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cold weather battery

Postby Winfield Dave » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:08 am

Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:56 am

A new battery will help. All my cubs are 12 volt, and have no starting issues as far as turning speed.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:25 am

By "bunch of pulls" do you mean the tractor would start and die or maybe fire but not start? A cub carb is quite simple. Don't discount fuel problems at that temperature. If it would fire there may be more than cranking speed. This is where I like a mag engine. The snap of a mag gives a good hot spark. If you do decide a new battery is in order check the cold cranking amps. I'm old enough to remember when there wasn't such a thing as 12 volt. Tractors, cars, trucks all used 6 and started. Connections need to be clean. You need twice the ampreage at 6 volts to crank as you do with 12 volts. This is why a 6 volt cable is larger than a 12 volt battery cable. You can even hook two batteries in parallel but that is costly if you don't have a second battery. Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:46 am

Conduct a voltage drop test to check battery condition. Fully charged battery. Volt meter connected to battery terminals. Read voltage. Ignition off - take voltage reading while cranking over engine. Battery should hold 4.5 or a bit more volts while cranking engine.

Batteries do get old and weak.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:14 am

Before I spent money on a new battery, I'd check the electrolyte level in the existing one and put a charger or maintainer on it, as Dave suggests. May not be the final solution, but it's a quicker and cheaper first step.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:20 am

DickB,

If you decide to purchase a new 6v battery, I suggest you consider an Exhide COM-1H-P with 625 CCA. I recently replaced an older NAPA 5019L (440 CCA) with the Exhide and have been very satisfied. Tractor Supply Company carries Exhide and they are less expensive than the NAPA model.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:12 am

Dick:

As Bill V said, if you get a new battery (after you do a load test on your current one) get one with the highest CCA's you can find. I am not a fan of NAPA batteries, or other house brands - for some reason haven't had good luck with them. I would try the Exide battery as BIll mentioned.

However, as Dave stated, I use a Schumacher battery maintainer on all my batteries over the winter. Helps the batteries, they last longer because they do not get too low, they are always at full charge which is good for the electrolyte and the plates. I took a clip of Ellie starting with SAE30wt oil and within seconds she was up to operating pressure even in the cold weather - below freezing. Mostly because the Cubs are sheltered - that helps a lot as well.

One of the keys to good starting to to make sure that the electrical system (between battery and starter) grounds are clean and bright as well as the starter switch itself. A little moisture and some corrosion will make a big difference surprisingly.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:36 pm

Just a little tidbit about NAPA vs Exide batteries...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 702AAID4mt
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:28 pm

I am going to watch what happens as others hopefully will share their experience with the new NAPA batteries. I only have one NAPA battery left and I am going to need a new one soon to replace it. So I googled Who Makes Deka Batteries and found that East Pen actually manufactures the Deka. Then I googled Who Makes Batteries for NAPA in Canada. So I was surprised to see that Deka is the supplier.

We have a large Interstate dealer/distributor here. Haven't heard a lot of good about them either. So I googled Who Makes Interestate Batteries and I kinda got a surprise - Johnson Controls.

Kept reading and I discovered who makes the battery in our new Honda :shock:

Might have to check out my local Interstate dealer. :idea:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:54 pm

Interesting that NAPA USA and NAPA Canada apparently have different suppliers.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

A. K. Trenfor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Feb 09, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes a good well charged battery is a must for cold weather starting yet poor or corroded connections cut the amperage to the starter severely and make for poor starting too. Clean and grease to slow down oxidation. Not lets start the old dielectric grease thing again. Any grease will help prevent future poor connections.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:11 am

I am a big believer in having GOOD battery connections, or any electrical connections. My favorite way of grounding the battery is using a long braided cable to the base of the battery box. It can also work to keep the battery in place.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:29 am

Buzzard Wing wrote:My favorite way of grounding the battery is using a long braided cable to the base of the battery box.
I moved the battery ground cable end location from the battery box to the transmission cover. In my instance the relocation greatly improved the starter's cranking ability.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Winfield Dave
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17953
Tractors Owned: ......Almost enough.
N3NIK

Postby Winfield Dave » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:39 am

Eugene wrote:I moved the battery ground cable end location from the battery box to the transmission cover.
:Dito:
Dave
"More gold has been mined from the thoughts of men than has been taken from the earth." -- Napoleon Hill

Return to “Farmall Cub”