This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

starter bendix - want to purchase centrifugal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

starter bendix - want to purchase centrifugal

Postby rick 48 cub » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:23 pm

Hi All,

I would appreciate any suggestions as to where I can purchase a centrifugal type starter bendix. Please refer to the "starter bendix" post (using the search window) that was posted here on September 17, 2012 at 10:59am. In that post, the two different types of starter gears are pictured. My timing is right, my condenser is new, but when it is cold the engine needs a couple of full turns before it fires up and stays running. My spring type starter gear kicks out too early.

I tried ordering one from NAPA auto parts - but they only acquired the spring type. The NAPA parts guy said that both types have the same part number (is that true?). I am thinking that I might have to go to a tractor boneyard - but I would much rather purchase a brand new one.

Am I correct that both types fit on the same starter shaft?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :help:
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: starter bendix - want to purchase centrifugal

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Check wih your local auto elec repair. The place that repairs alt, generators and starters.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm

The Cub starter has a screw or worm gear housing that slides over the starter drive shaft. A flat coiled spring connects the starter shaft to the worm gear housing. The starter gear is moved outward on the worm to engage the ring gear by the principle of inerta working with the sudden rotation of the starting motor. The coiled spring cushions the impact to the starter motor when the worm gear meshes with the ring gear.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 pm

rick 48 cub wrote:My timing is right, my condenser is new, but when it is cold the engine needs a couple of full turns before it fires up and stays running. My spring type starter gear kicks out too early.
The only time the starter bendix, over running clutch, will kick out is when the engine in turning faster than the starter. Double check engine timing - full engine tune up.
I have an excuse. CRS.

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:19 pm

As Eugene says the timing, not the starter is the most likely culprit. Your starter spring would not cause the problem. Your spark is likely retarded, meaning the spark is delayed and firing after TDC. Forget the dynamic timing with the light. Do a static time on the engine. Make sure the points open and spark occur on number one cylinder right at the TDC mark on the crank pulley. The distributor has a centrifugal weight system to give you the proper advance as the engine rpm increases. Also, make sure you have not mistakenly switched the spark plug wires on the plugs. When looking at the open distributor, number one terminal/plug on the inside of the cap is at 1 o'clock and the rotor turns clockwise to fire plugs 1342.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:07 pm

Different versions of that type of starter drive, folo-thru is one type. I have no idea where to get one other than ebay or a starter shop.

I would do as others suggested, tune the engine. I will disagree with Challenger, do dynamic timing with a light, more info than through static timing. Check to see if the advance is working by using the light.

Return to “Farmall Cub”